Bensonhurst

Treyger: Don’t blame officials for snow storm hype

January 27, 2015 By Paula Katinas Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Snow covered sidewalks and cars on 18th Avenue in Bensonhurst. Eagle photo by Paula Katinas
Share this:

Winter Storm Juno didn’t turn out to be the blizzard of the century, as many parts of New York City were hit with less snow than had been anticipated. But Councilmember Mark Treyger said it was still a significant storm and that city and state officials still did the right thing by preparing for the worst.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced at 8 a.m. on Tuesday that the travel ban he had instituted Monday night was lifted as of 7:30 a.m. and that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), which had shut down all transit services, was resuming bus and subway service as of 9 a.m. At that same press conference, carried live on NY1, MTA President Thomas Prendergast said that the transit system would be operating on a Sunday schedule on Tuesday and would likely be back to a full weekday schedule on Wednesday.

Taking note of some of the criticism that has been leveled at Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio for “overreacting” to the storm, Treyger (D-Coney Island-Gravesend-Bensonhurst) said elected officials did the best they could given the information they were receiving from weather forecasters.

DAILY TOP BROOKLYN NEWS
News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

“The storm might not have matched the hype, but officials make decisions based on the best information they have available,” he wrote on his Facebook page. “The National Weather Service may want to update their system to get more accurate data.” 

When the snowfall amounts are counted, Juno’s totals are expected to be between eight and 12 inches on Brooklyn, News 12 Brooklyn reported. That’s lower than the 18-inches to two feet that had been predicted by many forecasters. News 12 Brooklyn also reported that the blizzard warning that had been in effect since Monday was replaced on Tuesday by a winter storm warning.

Public schools and many public offices were closed Tuesday.

Councilmember Carlos Menchaca (D-Sunset Park-Red Hook) said via an email that his district office on 4417 4th Ave. will remain closed on Tuesday, but that he was making provisions for constituents who might be in need of non-emergency assistance.

“However, we have set up a hotline that will serve as a depository for questions and concerns. That hotline number is 347-352-0382. For non-emergency assistance, please leave your name, number, and exact location address along with your specific requests and any relevant 311 reference number. A representative from our office will be getting back to you with any questions and forwarding your concerns to the Office of Emergency Management,” Menchaca wrote.

In other snow-related news, the Wildlife Conservation Society announced that its facilities, including the Prospect Park Zoo, the New York Aquarium, the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo and Queens Zoo will be closed all day Tuesday.

Community Board 10 (Bay Ridge-Dyker Heights) officials said that the New York City Department of Homeless Services’ annual HOPE Count, in which teams of volunteers fan out across the city to count the number of homeless people, was cancelled. It had been scheduled for Jan. 26. It will be rescheduled at a later date.


Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment