Downtown

From Bushwick to the bench: Justice Quiñones’ journey culminates in supreme court role

February 7, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Hon. Joanne Quiñones (in purple) stands next to Hon. Betsey Jean-Jacques as she is sworn in as the latest Kings County Supreme Court Justice by Hon. Hector LaSalle, Presiding Justice of the Appellate Division, Second Department.Photos: Mario Belluomo/Brooklyn Eagle

Nearly 300 members of the Brooklyn legal community gathered at Brooklyn Law School recently to witness Justice Joanne Quiñones’ official installation as a Kings County Supreme Court Justice.

The illustrious ceremony filled with tradition and community spirit as approximately 100 judges and three dozen past interns were in attendance as a show of support for Justice Quiñones within the legal and local communities.

The program commenced with a call to order by Lt. Jessica Hernandez, president of the Latino Court Officers Society, followed by a spirited performance by the Junior Empire Marching Elite from the Big Apple Leadership Academy for the Arts. The judicial procession and presentation of colors by the New York State Courts Ceremonial Unit set a dignified tone for the evening.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Hon. Matthew Cooper served as the master of ceremonies, introducing judicial speakers including Chief Judge Rowan Wilson and Hon. Joseph A. Zayas, chief administrative judge; Hon. Edwina Richardson, deputy chief administrative judge for justice initiatives; Hon. Deborah Kaplan, deputy chief administrative judge for New York City Courts, and Hon. Frank Seddio.

Jasmine Valle and Justice Quiñones are twinning.<br>Photo courtesy of Hon. Joanne Quiñones
Jasmine Valle and Justice Quiñones are twinning.
Photo courtesy of Hon. Joanne Quiñones

Other speakers included Assemblymember Erik Dilan; District Leaders Henry Butler and Arleny Alvarado-McCalla; and Shaquana Boykin, Carihanna Morrison and Jasmine Valle.

The highlight of the evening was the oath of office, administered by Hon. Hector LaSalle, presiding justice of the Appellate Division, Second Department, to Justice Quiñones, who then took the stage to deliver her heartfelt speech.

Justice Quiñones expressed deep gratitude for the support she received throughout her journey, humorously noting the length of her speech as a nod to the 13 years it took to reach this moment. She acknowledged the pivotal role of the Brooklyn Democratic Party and key political figures such as Assemblymember Dilan and the former Democratic Party Chair Seddio in her election.

Special thanks were given to her district leaders, Shaquana Boykin and Michael Boomer, for their unwavering commitment, as well as to the many other district leaders and members of the “pep squad” who provided encouragement along her path.

Justice Quiñones paid homage to her mentors and role models within the judiciary, highlighting the influence of figures such as Hon. Carmen Beauchamp Ciparick and Hon. Hector LaSalle. She reflected on her career trajectory from a lawyer with the Legal Aid Society to her tenure as a judge, emphasizing the support and guidance she received from colleagues and mentors.

“You can’t be what you can’t see,” said Justice Quiñones, quoting Marian Wright Edelman, founder of the Children’s Defense Fund. “It was not until 1997, the year I graduated from law school, that the first Latina was elected to the Supreme Court in Kings County, another living legend who is here tonight: the Hon. Betsy Barros, associate justice of the Appellate Division, Second Department.”

The Justice’s remarks also celebrated the achievements of Camp Quiñones alumni, emphasizing the importance of mentorship and visibility in inspiring future generations in the legal profession. 

Hon. Hector LaSalle, presiding justice of the Appellate Division, Second Department, presents Hon. Joanne Quiñones as the newest Kings County Supreme Court Justice after he performed the official installation at Brooklyn Law School.Photo courtesy of Hon. Joanne Quiñones.
Hon. Hector LaSalle, presiding justice of the Appellate Division, Second Department, presents Hon. Joanne Quiñones as the newest Kings County Supreme Court Justice after he performed the official installation at Brooklyn Law School.
Photo courtesy of Hon. Joanne Quiñones.

“Camp Quiñones is my way of paying forward the mentorship and support I received — and am still receiving; it’s my way of introducing people of all ages and from all walks of life to our system of justice so that they are inspired to BE what they SEE. There are now over 100 Camp Quiñones alums, three dozen of whom are admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction. 

“They are assistant district attorneys, associates at law firms, staff attorneys at government and non-profit organizations, principal law clerks and court attorneys. One is now a judge, the Hon. Betsey Jean Jacques, elected to the Civil Court of Kings County this past November.

Justice Quiñones, a Brooklyn native from Bushwick, has built a distinguished career in the legal field. Appointed to the bench in 2010 by then-Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Judge Quiñones has a rich background in law, including a decade as principal court attorney to Hon. Matthew Cooper and prior service as a staff attorney with the Legal Aid Society’s Criminal Defense Division. In 2017, she was appointed an Acting Supreme Court Justice. 

She is deeply involved in various legal organizations, serving in leadership roles such as the past president of the Latino Judges Association and the Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association. She also holds significant positions in the National Association of Women Judges’ New York Chapter, the Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, and the Judicial Section of the New York State Bar Association, among others.

Her dedication to promoting diversity, ethics and mentorship in the legal profession is evident through her involvement in initiatives like the Franklin H. Williams Judicial Commission on Racial and Ethnic Fairness in the Courts and the Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics. Judge Quiñones actively mentors young legal minds through “Camp Quiñones,” demonstrating her commitment to fostering the next generation of legal professionals.

Her contributions to the legal field have been recognized with numerous awards, including the Judith S. Kaye Access to Justice Award and the Vivian H. Agress Trailblazer Award. Judge Quiñones’ educational background includes an undergraduate degree from Brown University and a J.D. degree from Fordham University School of Law, where she was a Louis Stein Scholar in Public Interest Law and Ethics.

“To have all of you here, not just in attendance, but speaking on my behalf, means the world to me,” Quiñones said. “Thank you, members of our court family, past and present, for being here tonight. I have been privileged to work with wonderful court clerks, officers, reporters, interpreters, attorneys, practicing attorneys and judges who guided and supported me, both personally and professionally, as I found my way first as a lawyer with the Legal Aid Society’s criminal defense division, then as a court attorney, and finally as a judge.”

Full slideshow below