Brooklyn Boro

LIU baseball reveals 2023 schedule

Defending NEC champion Sharks to open down south

September 22, 2022 John Torenli, Sports Editor

Coming off a year in which they advanced to the NCAA Regionals, recorded a program-record for wins and sent two players into the Major League Draft, the Long Island University baseball team is eager for an encore performance in 2022.

They’ll begin that quest Feb. 17, when they open the campaign as defending Northeast Conference champions vs. Winthrop in Rock Hill, South Carolina in the opener of a three-game series that kicks off a three-week road trip below the Mason-Dixon line.

The Sharks, who went a program-best 37-21 en route to grabbing the NEC crown in 2022 before falling to Maryland and Wake Forest during the Regionals, will continue their southern swing at Kennesaw State (Feb. 24-26) in Georgia before visiting Georgia Tech for a single contest on Feb. 28.

Subscribe to our newsletters

LIU will face The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina from March 3-5 before returning to more familiar environs at Stony Brook on March 8.

The team’s NEC opener will be at Fairleigh Dickinson in Teaneck, N.J., on March 10 and the Sharks are home at last to host St. John’s on the Brookville, N.Y., campus on March 14.

The NEC will have several new additions next year, including Stonehill, Maryland Eastern Shore, Norfolk State, Delaware State and Coppin State.

Former LIU shortstop E.J. Exposito (right) was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the MLB Draft earlier this year. Photo courtesy of LIU Athletics

Despite failing to win a game in the NCAAs, the Sharks made more news thereafter as shortstop E.J. Exposito and right-handed ace Joshua Loeschorn were both selected in the 2022 MLB Draft.

Exposito went in the 16th round to the Atlanta Braves and Loeschorn was picked by Pittsburgh in the 20th and final round.

Despite their gaudy record and postseason success, the Sharks are remaining focused on continuing to build up a program that has won the NEC twice since 2018.

“It’s been talked about within our program to keep getting on to the next level,” LIU baseball coach Dan Pirillo said in June. “This year we were able to show what we can do in the NEC. … [and] breaking the win record.

“It’s really huge for what we’re trying to do at LIU. The next step is to do a little bit more at the regional. It’s not easy. There are no easy regions. There are no easy teams. But I think that’s the next step to get where we want to go.”

***

In other local college sports news, the Brooklyn College men’s soccer team remained winless Wednesday with a 4-1 loss at St. Elizabeth in Morristown, N.J.

Freshman midfielder Danny Torrentes scored the lone goal and his first of the season off an assist from Alex Mishiyev in the 53rd minute as the Bulldogs completed their non-conference slate with an 0-7-1 record.

Freshman Danny Torrentes scored Wednesday at St. Elizabeth in New Jersey, but the Brooklyn College men’s soccer team remained winless heading into its CUNYAC opener. Photo courtesy of BC Athletics

BC will open its CUNYAC schedule vs. Lehman College on Wednesday at 4 p.m.

The Lady Bulldogs also dropped a 4-1 decision to visiting Pratt Institute Wednesday at Brooklyn College Field despite a goal by Rachel Gomez on a penalty kick in the 17th minute.

BC (0-6) will visit Purchase College on Monday night.