Brooklyn Boro

Terriers, Sharks still seeking first NEC win

SFC hosts SFU Thursday while LIU welcomes Mt. St. Mary's

January 5, 2022 John Torenli, Sports Editor

New Year’s Eve was a drag for Brooklyn’s Division I men’s basketball programs.

But St. Francis Brooklyn and Long Island University are hoping for better results as they continue Northeast Conference play in 2022.

The Terriers (3-10, 0-2 NEC) endured a pair of postponements due to COVID-19 protocols followed by back-to-back conference losses to close out December, including last Friday’s 67-55 defeat to Central Connecticut State (4-10, 1-1) in front of 200 fans at Remsen Street’s Pope Center.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Sharks (3-9, 0-2) were still left looking for their first road win of the campaign after Friday’s 82-77 loss to Merrimack before 170 paying customers at the Bert Hammel Court in Andover, Massachusetts.

LIU is 0-9 away from the Steinberg Wellness Center, but a perfect 3-0 in Brooklyn, a mark they hope to build on when they host Mount St. Mary’s here Thursday night.

SFC will also be in Brooklyn Heights Thursday night, welcoming St. Francis University (Pennsylvania) as the Terriers look for their first victory since Dec. 14.

The Terriers did get an epic performance from junior guard Tedrick Wilcox Jr. against CCSU. The 6-foot-6 guard scored a career-best and game-high 27 points, but SFC squandered an 11-point halftime lead.

Ty Flowers earned Co-NEC Player of the Week honors Monday after he put up 23 points in Friday’s loss to Merrimack. Eral Penn and Isaac Kante added 18 points apiece for the Sharks, who have dropped five of their last seven contests.

Eral Penn put up 18 points, but LIU lost at NEC rival Merrimack last Friday night in North Andover, Massachussets. Photo courtesy of LIU Athletics

The SFC women (4-6, 0-2), who have not played since Dec. 20 due to a cancellation and two forfeits, are hoping to get back on the hardwood Thursday night in Loretto, PA, when they visit SFU.

The LIU ladies (0-10, 0-2), also coming off back-to-back NEC forfeits, are still looking for their first win of the season, something they hope to nab Thursday night at Mount St. Mary’s in Emmitsburg, Maryland.

Over at Brooklyn College, a pair of cancellations and two postponements due to the ongoing Omicron outbreak have forced the Lady Bulldogs (6-2, 1-0 CUNYAC) to push Tuesday’s scheduled game at John Jay College to next Monday night.

The BC men (1-10) are scheduled to host Medgar Evers at the West Quad Gymnasium Friday night.

***

In other local college sports news, the LIU Sharks have found a new head football coach in Ron Cooper, the school announced Monday.

Though LIU plays its home games in Brookville, N.Y., the Sharks represent the only local Division I football program affiliated with a Brooklyn school.

Cooper has spent a decade as an NCAA head coach and is coming off a stint on perennial national championship contender Alabama’s staff.

The LIU Sharks found out they have a new coach Monday as the school tabbed Alabama assistant Ron Cooper to head the program. Photo courtesy of LIU Athletics

“I’m excited to be named head football coach at Long Island University,” Cooper said. “I want to thank President Kimberly Cline and Director of Athletics Dr. William E. Martinov Jr. for the opportunity to build on the strong college football tradition at LIU.”

Cooper worked as a head coach at Eastern Michigan University, the University of Louisville, Alabama A&M and Florida International.

Other notable assistant stops beside the Crimson Tide include Texas A&M, LSU, the University of Arkansas, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Mississippi State and the University of South Florida.

Cooper also was the defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for one season.

“From the high academic standards in the classroom to success on the field of play, LIU has proven to be a national teaching and research institution, and I take great pride in joining the LIU community,” Cooper added.

“My role as head coach will focus on developing a commitment to excellence in all areas of the game of football, and to build on the highly regarded LIU student-athlete experience, by preparing young men for success beyond the game.”

The Sharks went 2-8 last season