Brooklyn Boro

Terriers cruise to third straight win

Six players in double figures as SFC stomps Medgar Evers

December 16, 2021 John Torenli, Sports Editor

It’s still going to be a long climb back to .500 for the previously reeling St. Francis Brooklyn men’s basketball team.

But the Terriers certainly appear headed in the right direction for the first time this year.

Freshman Max Egner and junior Tedrick Wilcox Jr., poured in 19 points apiece Tuesday night as resurgent SFC Brooklyn rolled to its third consecutive win, a 113-51 victory over Medgar Evers in front of 310 fans at Remsen Street’s Pope Physical Education Center.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Losers of eight in a row to begin the campaign, the Terriers (3-8) pulled out road wins at Saint Peter’s and Delaware State last week to end their swoon.

On Tuesday, SFC took full advantage of Division III Medgar Evers, placing six players in double figures in scoring while reaching the century mark in points for the first time since also beating the Cougars (2-6), 122-58, in 2019.

Rob Higgins had 12 points, Patrick Emilien and Trey Quartlebaum added 11 apiece and Kasper Suurorg finished with 10 for the Terriers, who posted their first home win in three tries this season.

Egner also grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds for SFC, which will try to make it four consecutive wins overall here Sunday afternoon against Longwood.

The Terriers will open the Northeast Conference portion of their schedule at Merrimack on Dec. 29.

***

With seven players in COVID-19 protocol, the Nets inked veteran guard Langston Galloway to a 10-day contract Thursday. AP Photo by Eric Gay

The Brooklyn Nets took a step toward filling up their COVID-depleted roster Thursday, inking free agent guard Langston Galloway to a 10-day contract.

Eastern Conference-leading Brooklyn outlasted Toronto in overtime at the Barclays Center on Tuesday night despite missing seven regulars, including superstar James Harden and veteran forward LaMarcus Aldridge.

With Thursday night’s game against Philadelphia looming, the Nets (20-8) were still not clear exactly whom would be available against the Sixers.

But rookies like Kessler Edwards, Day’ron Sharpe, David Duke Jr., and Cam Thomas stepped up vs. the Raptors, helping the Nets open their five-game homestand.

Kessler Edwards and the rest of the Nets’ rookie filled in admirably Tuesday night vs. Toronto at Barclays Center. AP Photo by Adam Hunger

“Our attitude was let’s pump these guys up, let’s show them we’re gonna have a great time tonight regardless of who’s in the lineup and who’s not,” Nets head coach Steve Nash intmated.

“And we have belief and confidence in you guys and we want you to have a blast out there and compete and leave it all out there,” he added.

The 30-year-old Galloway should provide some veteran assistance, having played for Phoenix, Detroit, Sacramento, New Orleans and the arch rival New York Knicks since entering the league in 2014.

Harden, Aldridge, DeAndre Bembry, Jevon Carter, James Johnson, Paul Millsap and Bruce Brown are currently in the NBA’s Health and Safety Protocols system.

This week, the Chicago Bulls had two games postponed after placing 10 players into COVID-19 protocols.

The Nets, who hope to avoid a similar fate during this homestand, are leaning even more heavily on MVP candidate
Kevin Durant, especially with fellow superstar Kyrie Irving in vaccination-mandate exile.

Durant posted his 14th career triple-double in Tuesday’s win despite a sore ankle.

The two-time NBA champion and Finals MVP is enthused by how much better the suddenly youthful Nets are getting without their full complement of players.

“We saw an opportunity for us to grow and get better, especially the younger guys who haven’t played a lot of meaningful games in the NBA, especially against a championship organization like Toronto was an amazing test for us,” said Durant.