Greenwood Heights

Conversion of historic Weir Greenhouse to Green-Wood’s visitor’s center underway

November 21, 2018 By Raanan Geberer Brooklyn Daily Eagle
That's the Weir Greenhouse's new copper dome peeking over a construction fence. Eagle file photo by Lore Croghan

The historic Weir Greenhouse across from Green-Wood Cemetery at 25th Street and Fifth Avenue is being restored to its former glory in preparation for use as a visitor’s center for the cemetery.

The cemetery purchased the former greenhouse, which had rotting wood and broken glass, from McGovern Florist Inc. in 2012, according to Brownstoner. In 2013 it received a restoration grant from the state’s Regional Economic Development Council.

In 2015 it presented plans to convert the building into a visitor’s center, including the addition of a new building, to the Landmarks Preservation Commission, Brownstoner said. While Landmarks didn’t allow the new building, it gave a thumbs-up to the visitor’s center plan.

There’s no date for the completion of the project yet, but the former greenhouse has a gleaming new copper dome, as Brooklyn Eagle reporter Lore Croghan reported last year. In addition, a plain-looking nearby building that once housed a monuments office was demolished in 2016, which was also part of the overall plan.

The greenhouse was built in 1880 by Brooklyn florist James Weir Jr. The Weir family owned and operated it until they sold it to McGovern Florist in 1971. As part of the renovation, a sign with the name “Weir” and a weathervane on top of the dome are once again in place.

Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment