Bensonhurst

Bishop Kearney HS celebrates Sisters of St. Joseph

March 14, 2016 Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Members of the Sisters of St. Joseph enjoy lunch at a celebration of National Catholic Sisters Week. Photo courtesy of Bishop Kearney High School
Share this:

In celebration of National Catholic Sisters Week, Bishop Kearney High School in Bensonhurst paid tribute to members of the religious order that founded the school in the early 1960s.

Members of the Sisters of St. Joseph were treated to lunch as part of the celebration of National Catholic Sisters Week (March 8-14), a week in which the contributions of nuns to education, health care, social work and other fields are acknowledged and celebrated.

Bishop Kearney High School, located at 2202 60th St., was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph and opened in 1961. The school is named in memory of the late Bishop Raymond Kearney, who served in the Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn from 1935 until his death in 1956.

Dr. Margaret Minson, president of Bishop Kearney High School, paid tribute the school’s founders.

“We stand on the shoulders of these women who have educated generations of women. We are truly fortunate to have them as active members of the Kearney community,” Minson said in a statement.

School officials also announced that, with the help of alumnae, the convent garden on the school grounds will be renovated to create a space for contemplative prayer and sanctuary for the sisters and for the Kearney community.

 


Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment