Bay Ridge

Brooklyn bar leaders rally support for Alexis Riley’s judicial bid

April 5, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Andrea Bonina (left), a past president of the Brooklyn Bar Association and District Leader Joseph Bova (right) with Alexis Riley (center) at the fundraiser for her campaign to be a Civil Court judge at the Wicked Monk in Bay Ridge on Wednesday, March 27. Brooklyn Eagle photos by Mario Belluomo

Already equipped with the endorsement of the Kings County Democratic Party, Alexis Riley, Esq., recently held a fundraising event in Bay Ridge that drew a good amount of local attorneys and politicians who showed up to support her campaign to become the borough’s next Civil Court judge.

Assemblywoman Rodneyse Bichotte Hermelyn, chair of the Brooklyn Democratic Party, announced the endorsements following a leaders’ meeting on February 15, including two other endorsements of Turquoise Haskin and Tehilah Berman for two additional Civil Court positions.

From left: Michael Benjamin, Alexis Riley, Dominic Dale, Suzanne Gennusa and Santorini Rivera.

Alexis Riley stands out with an impressive legal career spanning more than a decade, including significant tenure as a law clerk within the New York State Unified Court System. 

Subscribe to our newsletters

Currently, Riley serves as the principal law clerk to Hon. Wayne Saitta, a position that gives candidates expertise in legal research, motion review, and judicial decision drafting on a broad spectrum of cases, from personal injury to labor law. 

Alexis Riley with William Gillen.
Alexis Riley with William Gillen.

Her academic credentials include a law degree from New York Law School and a role as an adjunct professor at both Pace University and Long Island University – Brooklyn.

A significant figure in Clinton Hill, Riley has been an active community advocate for nearly two decades. Her involvement extends to numerous Democratic clubs and community organizations across Brooklyn.

Alexis Riley and Bruno Codispoti.
Alexis Riley and Bruno Codispoti.

“Alexis comes from a prominent family tree of Brooklyn jurists; from Judge Kenneth Sherman to Judge Marsha Steinhardt to Judge Wayne Saitta, it is clear she learned from all of her previous mentors what it takes to do the job of being a judge,” said Adam Kalish, president of the Bay Ridge Lawyers Association. “She is a dedicated public servant and understands the demands of the job. She will be a welcome addition to the bench.”

Adam Kalish (left), president of the Bay Ridge Lawyers Association, and Joseph Vasile (right) with Alexis Riley.

The local legal community in Brooklyn came together to support Riley’s campaign for judge at a fundraising event hosted at the Wicked Monk in Bay Ridge on March 27. The event, attended by a notable assembly of Brooklyn legal figures, including BRLA President Kalish and several past presidents, was a testament to Riley’s broad support base within the legal community. Despite the event not being officially sponsored by the Bay Ridge Lawyers Association (BRLA), its members’ turnout underscored the personal and professional esteem in which Riley is held.

Dominic Famulari, a past president of the BRLA, praised Riley’s candidacy, highlighting her blend of private practice and judicial system experience, alongside her dedication to community service. 

From left: Stephen Chiaino, Dominic Famulari, Alexis Riley, Stephen Spinelli and Michael Benjamin.

“Alexis is a well-qualified candidate with a great blend of private practice and court system experience,” Famulari said. “Additionally, she has demonstrated a commitment to community service and helping others. We are proud to support her candidacy to the bench.”