Justice Christine Clark named judicial co-chair of Attorney Emeritus Program Advisory Council

March 26, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor

Chief Judge Rowan Wilson announced on Friday the appointment of Hon. Christine Clark as the judicial co-chair of the New York State Attorney Emeritus Program (AEP) Advisory Council, a role in which she will co-lead alongside esteemed attorney and law professor John Feerick. 

The AEP, a collaborative initiative between Fordham Law School’s Feerick Center for Social Justice and the Office for Justice Initiatives, focuses on recruiting experienced attorneys aged 55 and older to volunteer in pro bono programs. These programs are essential for providing legal services in critical areas such as housing and consumer debt, impacting the lives and well-being of vulnerable New Yorkers.

“Justice Clark is a highly regarded member of New York’s bench who has gained wide recognition for her active and enthusiastic support of pro bono programs and other initiatives to help narrow the state’s justice gap,” said Chief Judge Wilson. 

Subscribe to our newsletters

Justice Christine Clark was recently appointed as judicial co-chair of the New York State Attorney Emeritus Program Advisory Council by Chief Judge Rowan Wilson.Brooklyn Eagle photo by Rob Abruzzese
Justice Christine Clark was recently appointed as judicial co-chair of the New York State Attorney Emeritus Program Advisory Council by Chief Judge Rowan Wilson.
Brooklyn Eagle photo by Rob Abruzzese

“Her innovative spirit and collaborative approach, combined with her deep understanding of the difficult issues impacting access to justice, will be an asset to the Council’s esteemed chair, Mr. Feerick, to the group’s distinguished members, to the Attorney Emeritus Program, and, ultimately, to the many struggling New Yorkers who rely on pro bono legal representation in housing, consumer debt and other matters that profoundly affect their lives and livelihoods,” Wilson continued. 

Chief Administrative Judge Joseph Zayas commended the appointment and said that Justice Clark’s broad experience and leadership qualities were vital to the council’s mission. First Deputy Chief Administrative Judge Norman St. George and Deputy Chief Administrative Judge for Justice Initiatives Edwina Richardson also voiced their support and optimism for the program’s future under Justice Clark’s co-leadership.

“I have no doubt that Justice Clark, with her many talents and unwavering commitment to equal justice, is up to the task. I am eager to work with her toward that end,” said Deputy Chief AJ for Justice Initiatives Richardson.

Justice Clark studied at Columbia University and Albany Law School. Her career in law began at Dreyer Boyajian LLP, followed by impactful roles in the Schenectady County District Attorney’s Office, where she worked on DWI cases, sex crimes and child abuse, eventually leading the Special Victims Unit. 

Clark’s judicial career kicked off in 2005 on the Schenectady City Court bench, leading to roles as an acting County Court judge, an acting Family Court judge, and then to the Schenectady County Family Court bench in 2010. By 2012, she was elected to the State Supreme Court in the Fourth Judicial District, marking her as the second woman to hold that position. 

Recognized for her contributions with awards such as the Lawyer of the Year Award from the Schenectady County Bar Association and the Kate Stoneman Award from Albany Law School, Clark has been a champion for access to justice. 

Justice Clark’s appointment is effective immediately.