Judicial Series: An insightful sit-down with Hon. Bernard Graham

March 14, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Hon. Bernard Graham is the surrogate judge for Kings County, having previously served as a justice in the Kings County Supreme Court and held positions in the New York City Civil and Family Courts.Photo courtesy of Hon. Bernard Graham

On Wednesday, March 6, the legal community had the opportunity to engage directly with Hon. Bernard Graham through a virtual sit-down hosted by the Brooklyn Bar Association. The event is part of the BBA’s Judicial Series, and it gives members an opportunity to hear directly from the judge and offer feedback.

Hon. Bernard Graham’s legal career is rooted in Brooklyn, where he was raised. He graduated from Stuyvesant High School and Stony Brook University, followed by Brooklyn Law School. Graham began his legal practice in Park Slope before his election to the Civil Court in 2004. 

His judicial career includes serving as a judge in the New York City Civil Court of Kings County from 2005 to 2013; acting as a judge in the New York City Family Court, Kings County, from 2008 to 2011; taking on roles as an acting justice, from 2011 to 2013; and then as a justice in the Kings County Supreme Court (2nd Judicial District) from 2014 to 2027. In 2022, he filled in as acting surrogate following Acting Surrogate Carol Robinson

Subscribe to our newsletters

Edmead’s retirement before being elected as the surrogate judge for Kings County in 2023.

During the meeting, Graham talked about the mutual benefits of such forums, which allow for the exchange of concerns and suggestions between the judiciary and attorneys. He highlighted his Brooklyn upbringing, his transition from private practice to the bench, and his philosophy of maintaining awareness of the challenges faced by attorneys.

“These meetings are helpful to us as well because we get to learn what your concerns are and hear your suggestions.” Justice Graham said. “When I graduated from Brooklyn Law School, there was a short period of time where I worked for a large firm, but then I took the gamble of opening a private practice. 

“I had a neighborhood law office that was in Park Slope for almost 18 years,” Graham said. “As a jurist, I think anyone who practiced law in a firm has to be aware of the difficulties of paying a secretary, paying bills, chasing clients around and running a small business. So my whole time on the bench, I’m very cognizant of what attorneys have to go through.”

Graham also addressed the introduction of an “Urgency Box” for expedited communication, the need for an updated e-filing system to match that of the Supreme Court, and his surprise at the extent of litigation involving real property. Graham addressed concerns regarding AI and its effects on legal documents, along with persistent problems in real estate fraud, including deed theft.

The judge expressed a preference for in-person hearings to better gauge the arguments and sincerity of attorneys, reflecting his approach to ensuring effective legal proceedings. Additionally, he outlined his tenure and roles within the Kings County judicial system, demonstrating his extensive experience and commitment to serving the community.

Antar Jones, co-chair of the BBA’s Surrogate’s Court Committee, moderated the event. Jones founded his own law firm in Brooklyn, focusing on estate planning, probate, and administration, alongside addressing federal and state income and estate tax issues. He is also admitted in New Jersey.

Jones’s legal expertise is bolstered by his roles at Lewis & Hand LLP and Calo Agostino P.C., where he honed his skills in estate administration and tax matters. His academic credentials include a Juris Doctor and a Master of Laws in taxation from New York Law School.