New York State Bar Association to honor human rights attorney Becca Heller

March 12, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Becca Heller, champion of refugee rights, will be honored by the New York State Bar Association for her impactful work in international law.

The New York State Bar Association’s International Section is set to honor Becca Heller, a distinguished human rights attorney, for her unwavering commitment to aiding displaced individuals affected by war, religious persecution, and natural disasters. Heller will receive the prestigious Distinction in International Law and Affairs Award, a recognition of her excellence in the practice of international law.

As the co-founder and CEO of the International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP), Heller has spearheaded efforts to provide legal aid and advocacy for displaced people worldwide. Under her leadership, IRAP has become a beacon of hope for countless families seeking refuge and safety. Starting the initiative while still in law school, Heller was moved by the urgent legal needs of Iraqi refugee families in Jordan, propelling her to establish an organization that today mobilizes a vast network of attorneys, law students, and staff in the fight for refugee rights.

“Becca Heller works tirelessly to protect the most vulnerable people forced to flee violence and persecution in their homelands,” said NYS Bar Association President Richard Lewis. “Her organization has grown from one person to an army of attorneys, law students and staff who are giving hope and refuge to hundreds of families.”  

Subscribe to our newsletters

Heller’s work in refugee rights has not only provided critical support for individuals and families in dire need but also championed the cause for more humane refugee law and policy at the global level. Her advocacy efforts aim to expand rights and secure safer pathways for displaced individuals.

A Dartmouth College and Yale Law School alumna, Heller has contributed significantly to the academic and policy discourse on refugee rights, including her tenure as a visiting clinical lecturer at Yale Law School from 2010 to 2018. She has penned articles for publications like Foreign Policy and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, earning her the title of Foreign Policy’s Citizen Diplomat of the Year in 2017.