Brooklyn Heights

Nathan R. Sobel American Inn of Court faces uncertain future, seeks increased membership engagement

March 11, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Hon. Joy Campanelli is sworn in as president of the Nathan R. Sobel American Inn of Court alongside Vice President Hon. Dena Douglas (left) by Hon. Carl Landicino.Brooklyn Eagle photos by Robert Abruzzese

Full slideshow below

The Nathan R. Sobel American Inn of Court, a prominent legal association known for its unique approach to Continuing Legal Education (CLE), is facing an uncertain future due to dwindling engagement and membership dues.

The group held an installation ceremony for its new president, Justice Joy Campanelli, at the Brooklyn Bar Association on Feb. 26, with Hon. Carl Landicino presiding over the ceremony. Normally, the annual event is very festive and optimistic towards the future. This meeting, however, had the feeling of a group at a crossroads.

The Inn, which integrates reenactments, skits and mock trials into its CLE programs to foster camaraderie among members, has seen a significant drop in participation. Only about a third of the membership paid their dues in 2023, a decline attributed to the shift away from in-person meetings due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

Subscribe to our newsletters

“We didn’t send out a dues request to our members in 2024 because most of the members didn’t pay dues in 2023, so it didn’t make sense for us to ask,” Justice Campanelli said. “But we need to know if people want the Inns to continue, because right now we don’t know what’s going to happen with the Inns and we’re still trying to revive it.”

The leadership is exploring ways to re-engage the community, including the organization of an end-of-year gathering in June, always a major event in the group’s past. They also discussed a potential international trip, maybe to London, similar to the trip made in 1985 that helped to start the association. Advertising free membership to law school students, with Brooklyn Law School located just blocks away, could be a way to attract future members.

However, the low turnout at recent events and the lack of dues collection raise questions about the group’s sustainability. 

Justice Campanelli credited and thanked Immediate Past President Steven Jeffrey Harkavy and Anthony Vaughn as being instrumental in keeping the association afloat. Their efforts behind the scenes, from organizing meetings to managing finances, are crucial for the Inn’s survival, she said. 

Despite their challenges, the leadership remains hopeful about revitalizing the association. The Inn’s unique CLE format, including recent discussions on AI and the law, continues to provide valuable educational opportunities for its members. The next in-person meeting, scheduled for April 16, will address changes to notary laws.

In 1985, a contingent of Brooklyn attorneys, including the late Hon. Gerard Rosenberg and retired Hon. Marsha Steinhardt, traveled to London to observe an actual Inns of Court meeting. Inspired by the educational richness and camaraderie they witnessed, they returned to Brooklyn with a vision to replicate this model. 

Their efforts led to the establishment of an Inn that emphasized interactive CLE through reenactments, skits and mock trials, facilitated by a dedicated group of masters responsible for organizing these sessions.

As the Nathan R. Sobel American Inn of Court stands at a crossroads, its future depends on the collective will of its members to preserve and enrich the tradition of legal education and camaraderie that has defined it for years.

Attorneys who are interested in getting involved in the Inns of Court should reach out to Hon. Dena Douglas or past president Anthony Vaughn Jr. Currently there are openings for a treasurer and secretary, and there are two openings to be masters of the Inn. Inn masters are expected to help in organizing a group of attorneys to present a CLE once a year.

Full slideshow below