Brooklyn Boro

High school students, it’s time to submit your Law Day articles!

March 8, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Judges gather at a Law Day event in Brooklyn, demonstrating their support for civic education. This year's Law Day theme, “Voices of Democracy,” invites high school students to reflect on the importance of participation in the democratic process.Brooklyn Eagle photo by Robert Abruzzese

As Law Day approaches on May 1, the court is providing a unique opportunity for high school students across New York State to showcase their creativity and understanding of democracy. 

The Unified Court System’s Office for Justice Initiatives–Division of Access to Justice, in collaboration with the Historical Society of the New York Courts, announced on Thursday the launch of the Law Day 2024 Art Contest. This year’s theme, “Voices of Democracy,” encourages participants to engage deeply with the electoral process and the foundational principles of democracy.

Deputy Chief Administrative Judge for Justice Initiatives Edwina G. Richardson expressed enthusiasm for the initiative.

Subscribe to our newsletters

“As we approach Law Day, I am so pleased to announce the launch of the Law Day 2024 Art Contest,” Justice Richardson said.  

“We’ve been extremely impressed by the extraordinarily creative –– and thoughtfully rendered –– works submitted by the young artists who participated in our Law Day Art Contest in previous years,” Justice Richardson continued. “We encourage budding artists of high school age throughout the state’s 62 counties to take part in the New York State Courts’ Law Day 2024 Art Contest and very much look forward to this year’s submissions.”

The contest invites students to submit original artworks that capture their reflections on the 2024 Law Day theme, illustrating the significance of civic participation, discussion, and moving forward post-election. Previous years have seen a plethora of imaginative and thoughtful submissions, and this year the anticipation is even higher.

“Civics education, including learning about the rule of law and the role of the judiciary in our democracy, has never been more essential,” said Dr. Julia Rose Kraut, resident education fellow, Historical Society of the New York Courts. “The Law Day Art Contest presents a wonderful opportunity for high school students to use their creativity and knowledge to produce a work of art that reflects their understanding of democracy and their voices in it, as well as the importance of civic participation, including through voting and self-expression.”

The deadline for submissions is April 11, 2024, with the winners to be unveiled on Law Day, May 1. Prizes will be awarded to the top three entries, including monetary rewards courtesy of the Historical Society of the New York Courts. The winning artwork will be featured on the court system’s website.

For detailed information on contest rules and how to enter, students and educators are encouraged to visit the official website.