NYC takes legal stand against social media giants over youth mental health crisis

February 15, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Hon. Sylvia Hinds-Radix, a former administrative judge of the Kings County Supreme Court, and Appellate Division, Second Department justice, announced a lawsuit against social media companies for “fueling a national youth mental health crisis” in NYC. Mario Belluomo

New York City has launched a groundbreaking lawsuit against leading social media platforms, accusing them of exacerbating a mental health crisis among the youth. 

Corporation Counsel Sylvia Hinds-Radix highlighted the city’s stance in a statement issued by the Law Department.

“Social media companies like TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube and Meta are fueling a national youth mental health crisis,” said Corporation Counsel Hinds-Radix. “These companies have chosen profit over the wellbeing of children by intentionally designing their platforms with manipulative and addictive features and using harmful algorithms targeted to young people. Social media companies should be held accountable for this misconduct and for the harms they cause to our children, schools, and entire communities.”

Subscribe to our newsletters

The City of New York, alongside its Department of Education (DOE) and NYC Health + Hospitals (H+H), has initiated a lawsuit against the operators of TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and YouTube. 

Filed in California Superior Court, the legal action accuses these social media giants of contributing to a youth mental health crisis through the intentional design of their platforms. The lawsuit contends that these companies have employed algorithms, addictive app mechanics, and user manipulation tactics to foster compulsive usage among children and teens, leading to significant mental health issues. 

The city argues that this has resulted in a public nuisance, impacting schools, hospitals, and the broader community and forcing the city to allocate substantial resources to address the crisis. Data cited in the lawsuit highlights the pervasive feeling of sadness and hopelessness among New York City high school students, with significant disparities observed across racial and gender lines. The widespread and constant use of social media among teens nationwide is also noted, along with the difficulty many express in reducing their screen time.