Brooklyn Heights

BWBA and CALA celebrate Black History Month with focus on the arts

February 15, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Hon. Sylvia Hinds-Radix, President of CALA, Jovia Radix-Seaborough, president of BWBA, and Karlyne Fequiere, event moderator, at the Black History Month Celebration.Photo: Robert Abruzzese/Brooklyn Eagle

Full slideshow below

The Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association (BWBA) and the Caribbean American Lawyers Association (CALA) hosted a Black History Month event on Wednesday, Feb. 7 at the Brooklyn Bar Association, marking a milestone for CALA as its first in-person Black History Month event.

This year’s national theme, “African Americans and the Arts,” attempts to capture the profound influence of African American art on various cultural expressions, including visual and performing arts, literature, and music.

The robust turnout underscored the community’s eagerness to engage with the rich tapestry of African American cultural contributions. BWBA President Jovia Radix, expressing her anticipation for the annual celebration, credited Hon. Genine Edwards, the BWBA’s Black History Month chair, for her diligent efforts in organizing the event. 

Subscribe to our newsletters

“I look forward to this every year,” Radix said. “Thank you to everyone who helped out under the guidance of our Black History Month chair, Hon. Genine Edwards, who works very hard to make sure that we are in shape to do this.”

Hon. Sylvia Hinds-Radix echoed the sentiment, particularly acknowledging the pioneering role of Hon. Betty Staton in the Family Court and the foundational impact of such trailblazers. 

“Hon. Betty Staton was one of the first Black judges in the Family Court,” Justice Hinds-Radix explained. “When I tell you about an individual who paved the way, she is one of those individuals whose shoulders a lot of us stand.”

The event featured a distinguished panel, including Dr. Brenda M. Greene, Eric Edwards and Richard Beavers, with Karlyne Fequiere moderating the discussion. Panelists shared their personal journeys, the pivotal role of the arts in Black culture, and the ways in which artistic expression has served as a means of preservation, empowerment, and resistance.

Moderator Karlyne Fequiere stands with seated panelists Dr. Greene, Eric Edwards and Richard Beavers, discussing the arts' pivotal role in Black culture at BWBA Black History Month event.
Moderator Karlyne Fequiere stands with seated panelists Dr. Greene, Eric Edwards and Richard Beavers, discussing the arts’ pivotal role in Black culture.

Eric Edwards, born and raised in Brooklyn, has curated an extensive private African art collection over 50 years, comprising over 2,500 pieces, including a unique Nigerian palace drum valued at $1 million. 

His collection, sourced from global travels and connections, has been featured in prestigious institutions like the Metropolitan Museum of Art. A retired AT&T executive, Edwards aims to house his collection in “The Cultural Museum of African Art” in Bedford-Stuyvesant, to educate and inspire, particularly focusing on youth. 

Dr. Brenda M. Greene, a distinguished professor of English at Medgar Evers College, has devoted over 45 years to education, focusing on composition, African American, and multicultural literature.

As the founder and executive director of the Center for Black Literature and director of the National Black Writers Conference, she has significantly contributed to literary scholarship and activism. Her editorial work includes notable publications on the African influence in the Americas and conversations with Black writers.

Dr. Greene’s leadership extends to significant roles within CUNY and the New York City Black Studies Commission, aiming to develop an inclusive Black Studies Curriculum. Her efforts have earned her numerous awards, recognizing her impact on literature and education.

From left: Hon. Robin Sheares, Jovia Radix-Seaborough, Shekera Algarin, Dr. Brenda Greene, Shanel Spence and Hon. Genine Edwards at BWBA Black History Month event.
From left: Hon. Robin Sheares, Jovia Radix-Seaborough, Shekera Algarin, Dr. Brenda Greene, Shanel Spence and Hon. Genine Edwards.

Richard Beavers, a passionate advocate for community-centric art, established his namesake gallery in Brooklyn’s Bed-Stuy in 2007, defying expectations that favored locations like Chelsea or SoHo. 

Motivated by a desire to showcase art that resonates with and reflects the stories of the African diaspora, Beavers has been collecting such art for over 30 years. His gallery, open to the public on weekends and by appointment on weekdays, focuses on promoting Black emerging and established artists and sparking community conversations around their work. 

Raised in Flatbush and deeply influenced by his mother’s introduction to Black contemporary art at a young age, Beavers transitioned from a career in finance and HR at MTV to becoming a gallerist.

Full slideshow below