Justices Ryba and Ally appointed as judicial co-chairs to advance access to justice

February 8, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Justices Christina Ryba and Shahabuddeen Ally, newly appointed Judicial Co-Chairs of the Permanent Commission on Access to Justice, dedicated to enhancing civil legal support for New Yorkers.Photos courtesy of the Office of Court Administration

Chief Judge Rowan Wilson announced last week that he has appointed Hon. Christina Ryba and Hon. Shahabuddeen Ally as judicial co-chairs of the Permanent Commission on Access to Justice, aiming to enhance civil legal support for low-income New Yorkers and unrepresented litigants. 

Together with commission founder Helaine Barnett, Justices Ryba and Ally will lead a team of legal professionals, scholars and other experts dedicated to closing the justice gap in New York.

“The work of the commission is integral to the Court System’s mission,” said Chief Judge Wilson. “Beyond a core principle of the rule of law, access to justice is an essential lifeline, whether for the tenant facing eviction or the person embroiled in litigation with predatory lenders, among the many others throughout our State in dire need of civil legal representation and assistance.”

Subscribe to our newsletters

Chief Administrative Judge Joseph A. Zayas and First Deputy Chief Administrative Judge Norman St. George lauded the appointments, recognizing Justices Ryba and Ally as longtime advocates for expanding civil legal services. Deputy Chief Administrative Judge for Justice Initiatives Edwina G. Richardson, an ex officio member of the commission, praised their expertise and passion, which contribute to the commission’s goal of addressing unmet civil legal needs.

“I’m grateful to Chief Judge Wilson for the appointment, which will allow me to collaborate with Deputy Chief Administrative Judge Edwina Richardson, Helaine Barnett and Judge Ally in efforts to help New Yorkers by developing policies and initiatives that will expand much-needed access to legal services,” Justice Ryba said.

“I am thankful to Chief Judge Rowan Wilson, Chief Administrative Judge Joseph Zayas and the executive leadership team for giving me this opportunity to work on a commission charged with the most fundamental right –– access to justice,” said Judge Ally. “I’m excited to work with Helaine Barnett and Justice Christina Ryba. There is tremendous potential in servicing the needs of those in our community who need assistance.”

Justice Ryba has had a distinguished career in the New York State judiciary and legal community, marked by a series of notable achievements and contributions. Elected to the State Supreme Court in Albany County in 2015, she has the distinction of being the first Black person elected to the Supreme Court in the Third Judicial Department’s 28 counties. Her role encompasses presiding over both civil and criminal matters, demonstrating her broad legal expertise and judicial capability.

In 2023, Justice Ryba was appointed as the district’s supervising judge for the Supreme Court. Her career prior to the bench saw her serve in various capacities within the state court system, including as special project counsel to the deputy chief administrative judge for courts outside New York City and in the Appellate Division, Third Department. 

Her legal career began in Albany, where she served as assistant corporation counsel, and later took on roles in the Albany Community Development Agency. Additionally, she worked as an associate at Nixon Peabody and served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Litigation Bureau of the Office of the New York State Attorney General.

Justice Ryba’s commitment to the legal community extends beyond her judicial duties. She is actively involved in several legal associations, serving as the second vice president of the Association of Justices of the Supreme Court of the State of New York and participating in the New York Women Judges Association.

Judge Ally has made significant strides in the New York judicial system since his election to the New York City Civil Court in 2018. His career trajectory saw a rapid advancement when he was designated as an acting Supreme Court Justice in 2020, further solidifying his judicial credentials. In his current role as the supervising judge of New York City Civil Court in New York County, Judge Ally is responsible for overseeing the court’s operations and managing a demanding schedule, reflecting his capability and leadership within the judiciary.

Prior to his tenure in civil court, Judge Ally sat on the New York City Criminal Court bench in Bronx County, where he handled a variety of cases including arraignments, family violence issues, and trials. 

His legal career before ascending to the bench was marked by a diverse practice as a solo practitioner, where he dealt with a wide range of legal matters spanning criminal, civil, and family law. His experience includes serving on the Family Court’s Assigned Counsel Panel in New York County, providing representation in juvenile delinquency, child custody, and other sensitive cases.

Judge Ally’s legal experience also includes roles within the NYC Law Department as an assistant corporation counsel and as a staff attorney for the Administration for Children’s Services. He is a graduate of the Hofstra University School of Law.

Judge Ally is deeply involved in various legal and community organizations. He serves as president of the Asian American Judges Association of New York and holds membership in the Franklin H. Williams Judicial Commission and Judicial Friends, among other affiliations. His commitment to legal education and ethical practice is evident in his role as a frequent lecturer and panelist on critical topics such as ethics, risk management, virtual court appearances, and implicit bias in the judiciary. Judge Ally is an adjunct professor at Long Island University, where he teaches family law to graduate students.