Downtown

Attorney Kerry Archer named Public Administrator for Kings County

February 7, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Brooklyn’s two Surrogate Court Justices: Hon. Bernard Graham and Hon. Rosemarie Montalbano.Photos: Mario Belluomo/Brooklyn Eagle

In a significant appointment within the Kings County Surrogate’s Court, Kerry Archer has been named the new public administrator, a role crucial for managing estates that lack a will or where heirs are unable or unwilling to administer the estate themselves.

Kerry Archer, newly appointed public administrator for Kings County, brings extensive experience in estate law to her vital role.Photo courtesy of Kerry Archer
Kerry Archer, newly appointed public administrator for Kings County, brings extensive experience in estate law to her vital role.
Photo courtesy of Kerry Archer

The appointment follows a thorough selection process led by Hon. Rosemarie Montalbano and Hon. Bernard Graham, judges at the Kings County Surrogate’s Court. 

Archer’s extensive background in trusts and estates law, covering both contested and uncontested probate and administration matters, as well as accounting proceedings and other related actions, positioned her as a standout candidate for this pivotal role.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Archer, a native of Brooklyn with Bajan roots, holds a bachelor’s degree from Baruch College, and earned her law degree cum laude from Cooley Law School. Since her admission to the New York State Bar in 2009, Archer has dedicated her career to the intricacies of estate law, becoming a respected voice in the field.

Beyond her professional accomplishments, Archer is deeply committed to community engagement, particularly within the African American and Caribbean communities. She is known for her efforts to educate and advise on the critical importance of estate planning and the potential complexities in estate administration.

Archer’s involvement in the legal community extends through her roles in various organizations. She has been an active member of the Brooklyn Bar Association, where she notably served as co-chair of the Surrogate’s Court Committee from 2021-2022. 

Archer replaces Javier Ortiz as the public administrator. Prior to being elected as a Civil Court Judge in November of 2023 Judge Javier Ortiz previously served as a Law clerk to Justice Dawn Jimenez-Salta beginning in 2014 and then as a Court Attorney and Principal Law Clerk for Justice Montalbano, for six years in Criminal Court, Civil Court, Supreme Court, and Surrogate’s before being appointed as Public Administrator.

Javier Ortiz
Photo courtesy of Javier Ortiz

Judge Ortiz, earned his undergraduate degree from John Jay College, City University of New York, and later his Juris Doctorate from Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center, Touro University. Before his career in the Court system he worked as a Clerk to the Town Attorney in the Town Attorney’s Office, town of Babylon New York.

The public administrator is responsible for managing the estates of deceased individuals who pass away without a will or without anyone available or willing to administer their estate. This role exists in every county within New York City, focusing on protecting the decedent’s property, making burial arrangements if necessary, identifying and liquidating assets, settling debts and taxes, and ensuring rightful heirs receive their inheritance. 

The public administrator steps in under various circumstances, such as when there are no willing or capable administrators, no known heirs, or when a designated executor is unable to fulfill their duties. To facilitate estate administration, the public administrator may hire professionals such as accountants and auctioneers, and is tasked with inventorying the decedent’s property, managing financial obligations and potentially engaging in litigation to protect the estate’s interests.