Downtown

Brooklyn courts Launch Black History Celebration with arts and culture at the forefront

February 2, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
The Kings County Court System is celebrating 26 years of celebrating Black History Month. It kicked off this year’s celebrations on Thursday, Feb. 1 at the Supreme Court, located at 320 Jay St., where it welcomed keynote speaker Meredith Suttles. Pictured from left to right: Hon. Deborah Dowling, Meredith Suttles, Hon. Matthew D’Emic, Hon. Lawrence Knipel and Leah Richardson.Photos: Robert Abruzzese/Brooklyn Eagle

The Brooklyn court system commenced its Black History Month celebration with an opening ceremony that featured Meredith Suttles, managing director of the Marin Theatre Company, as the keynote speaker. 

The event, part of a longstanding tradition now in its 26th year, was organized by the Kings County Courts Black History Month Committee, co-chaired by Leah Richardson and Hon. Deborah Dowling.

Hon. Lola Waterman warmly welcomes attendees to the Black History Month opening ceremony.

“You know she has to be dynamic because she is the managing director of the Marin Theatre Company. and that is not a title you just walk into,” Justice Dowling said of Suttles. Dowling also took a moment to thank retired justice Hon. Lewis Douglass and the late Izetta Johnson for being responsible for creating the court tradition.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Elite Color Guard from Franklin K. Lane High School presents colors, marking the start of the event.

During her keynote speech, Suttles, an accomplished arts leader with a rich background in creative and performing arts, explored the multifaceted meaning of “Do it for the culture,” highlighting its role in celebrating shared beliefs, legacy and the diverse contributions to the African American community. 

A panoramic view of the courtroom capturing the solemn presence of the color guard and the assembly of judges.

“In a world that is increasingly interconnected, ‘Do it for the culture’ has emerged as a powerful and resonant declaration,” Suttles said, emphasizing the phrase’s dual role as both a celebration and a call to action.

Brooklyn's judiciary representing each of the courts attend in observance of the ceremonies proceedings.
Brooklyn’s judiciary representing each of the courts attend in observance of the ceremonies proceedings.

“It’s an acknowledgment of the struggles faced and triumphs achieved by those who came before us,” she continued. “When we say we’re ‘doing it for the culture,’ we’re expressing our shared commitment to carrying on and advancing the essence of who we are.”

An educational display of portraits showcases influential Black artists and musicians, enriching attendees' understanding of Black history.
An educational display of portraits showcases influential Black artists and musicians, enriching attendees’ understanding of Black history.

With a career spanning several prestigious organizations, including Theater WorksUSA and the New York City Opera, Suttles has been instrumental in using the arts to foster community dialogue and inspire civic engagement. 

Terrell Lane delivers stirring renditions of the National Anthem and the Black National Anthem.

The ceremony, presided over by Hon. Lola Waterman, also featured remarks from other dignitaries and contributions from local artists, embodying this year’s theme, “African Americans and the Arts: Creativity is the Heart and Soul of African-American People.” 

Keynote speaker Meredith Suttles engages the audience with her compelling address on the significance of culture and heritage.

The ceremony featured a procession of judges, presentation of colors by the Elite Color Guard from Franklin K. Lane High School, and performances of the National Anthem and the Black National Anthem by Terrell Lane. Father Steve Foster of St. Peters Episcopal Church in Rosedale, Queens, offered the invocation and a prayer of remembrance.

Justice Cenceria Edwards, president-elect of the Brooklyn Women's Bar Association, shares her insights during the ceremony.
Justice Cenceria Edwards, president-elect of the Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association, shares her insights during the ceremony.

The program also included remarks from Hon. Matthew D’Emic and Hon. Lawrence Knipel, administrative judges for the Supreme Court for Criminal and Civil Matters in the 2nd Judicial Department, respectively. Special presentations and remarks were made by Hon. Deborah Dowling, with the benediction provided by Deputy Borough President Reverend Kimberly Council.

Pictured from left to right: Hon. Lola Waterman, Hon. Lisa Ottley, Hon. Deborah Dowling, Meredith Suttles, a photo of the late Izetta Johnson, Deputy Borough President Reverend Kimberly Council, Hon. Robin Sheares and Leah Richardson.

Contributing sponsors for the event included the Brooklyn Bar Association, the Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association and the Metropolitan Black Bar Association.