Lauren Zimmerman joins Access Justice Brooklyn’s Board of Directors

January 10, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Lauren Zimmerman is a trial and appellate lawyer with expertise in complex civil litigation, class actions, and corporate defense. Her practice includes handling contractual disputes, bankruptcy litigation, and consumer class actions.Photo courtesy of Access Justice Brooklyn

Access Justice Brooklyn recently announced that it has elected Lauren Zimmerman to its Board of Directors at the organization’s meeting held on Dec. 13. Zimmerman is currently a Partner at Selendy Gay Elsberg PLLC and has a background as a public defender in Brooklyn.

“Access Justice Brooklyn’s vision — of an equitable Brooklyn where everyone knows their rights and has access to legal support — is a vision I passionately share,” Zimmerman said. “As a former public defender in Brooklyn, I saw firsthand the challenges our neighbors face when navigating the legal system. In joining Access Justice Brooklyn’s Board, I’m excited to return to this type of work and once again serve the borough I call home.”

Zimmerman’s election to the board is part of Access Justice Brooklyn’s ongoing efforts to enhance legal support and awareness of rights within the Brooklyn community. Her experience in the legal system, particularly in public defense, is expected to contribute significantly to the board’s strategic planning and community outreach.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Zimmerman’s role on the board will involve oversight of the organization’s governance and strategic initiatives, particularly in advancing its pro bono model.

“We are thrilled to welcome Lauren to the Access Justice Brooklyn Board,” said Stephen Z. Williamson, vice chair and board resource and Governance Committee Co-Chair, Access Justice Brooklyn Board of Directors. 

“As an experienced litigator, compassionate advocate, natural connector, and proud Brooklynite, Lauren brings a combined passion and expertise that will significantly impact the advancement of the organization, development of new partnerships, and strengthening of our pioneering pro bono model,” Williamson continued. “She has stepped into her new role with ease and excitement, and I look forward to us working together in service to our Brooklyn community.”

Zimmerman is an accomplished trial and appellate lawyer with expertise in complex civil litigation, class actions, and corporate defense. Her practice includes handling contractual disputes, bankruptcy litigation, and consumer class actions. She’s experienced in corporate defense and investigations, notably participating in significant cases involving government and internal probes.

Zimmerman is also committed to public interest work, notably in First Amendment litigation and class actions against student loan servicers. Her background includes serving as a trial lawyer with Brooklyn Defender Services and clerking for Honorable Ursula Ungaro in the Southern District of Florida.

A graduate of Cardozo School of Law, Zimmerman is actively involved with the National LGBTQ+ Bar Association and Out Leadership. Her legal representations span a wide range, from Navient class actions to internal investigations for academic institutions and major corporations.

Access Justice Brooklyn collaborates with pro bono attorneys to deliver civil legal services, aiming to level the playing field in the legal system. The organization emphasizes the importance of addressing fundamental human needs through its services and is known for its adaptability in responding to emerging legal issues.