Kings County Criminal Bar Association hosts CLE on ethical issues in criminal defense

December 18, 2023 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
KCCBA President Darran Winslow (left) with legal ethics expert Michael Ross, collaborating at the CLE course on ethical issues in criminal defense.Photos: Robert Abruzzese/Brooklyn Eagle

The Kings County Criminal Bar Association recently presented a crucial Continuing Legal Education (CLE) course titled “Hot Ethical Issues for Criminal Defense Attorneys in Criminal Cases” on Thursday, Nov. 30. 

This informative session, led by esteemed legal ethics expert Michael Ross, focused on the intricacies and challenges of maintaining ethical standards in criminal defense practice.

From left to right: Andrew Rendeiro, Jay Schwitzman, Michael Cibella and Robert Reuland at CLE.
From left to right: Andrew Rendeiro, Jay Schwitzman, Michael Cibella and Robert Reuland.

Ross, with his rich background as a former assistant U.S. attorney in the Criminal Division of the Southern District of New York and an assistant district attorney in Kings County, brought his extensive experience to the forefront. Currently leading the Law Offices of Michael S. Ross, he specializes in attorney ethics, leveraging his years of practice and academic contributions as an adjunct professor at both Benjamin N. Cardozo Law School and Brooklyn Law School.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The course covered a range of vital topics, including Attorney-Client Privilege, Work-Product Protection and Duty of Confidentiality, Conflicts of Interest and Disqualification Motions, Attorney Discipline and Court Sanctions, and Prohibition of Attorneys Engaging in or Assisting Illegal or Dishonest Conduct. Each subject was explored with an emphasis on the practical implications and challenges faced by criminal defense attorneys.

From left: Hon. Anne Swern, Melissa Cardinale, Christopher Wright and Steven Brounstein at the CLE.
From left: Hon. Anne Swern, Melissa Cardinale, Christopher Wright and Steven Brounstein.

Ross also delved into the complex issues surrounding legal fees and related ethical concerns, providing participants with a comprehensive understanding of the financial aspects of legal practice and their ethical implications.

Renowned for his scholarly contributions, Ross has authored materials on critical ethics topics, such as “Client and Witness Perjury,” for the American Bar Association’s “Litigation Ethics: Course Materials For Continuing Legal Education.” His expertise is widely recognized, with a history of lecturing and authoring for various prestigious legal organizations.

KCCBA President Darran Winslow addresses attendees at the 'Hot Ethical Issues for Criminal Defense Attorneys in Criminal Cases' CLE event.
KCCBA President Darran Winslow addresses attendees at the ‘Hot Ethical Issues for Criminal Defense Attorneys in Criminal Cases’ CLE event.

As a member of several committees on professional discipline and legal ethics, including the New York State Bar Association and the New York County Lawyers’ Association, Ross brings a wealth of knowledge to his teaching and lecturing roles. His involvement with the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board, where he helped formulate CLE guidelines, further underscores his commitment to legal education.

The CLE course offered by the Kings County Criminal Bar Association under Ross’s guidance served as an invaluable platform for criminal defense attorneys to deepen their understanding of ethical practices. 

Michael Ross challenges attorneys with thought-provoking ethics questions during the Kings County Criminal Bar Association's CLE session.
Michael Ross challenges attorneys with thought-provoking ethics questions during the Kings County Criminal Bar Association’s CLE session.

The KCCBA is hosting its 2023 Annual Holiday Soiree on Thursday, Dec. 21st, at the Livingston Manor on Hoyt Street in Downtown Brooklyn. Starting at 5 p.m., the event will feature catered hors d’oeuvres and an open bar, offering a relaxed environment for attendees to engage in conversations and network.