Judicial Friends Association celebrates legacy at 42nd annual gala

December 5, 2023 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
NY State Chief Judge Rowan D. Wilson (middle, seated) among judges representing the Appellate Division, First and Second Departments.Photos: Kareem Wilder/Brooklyn Eagle

See slideshow below

On November 28, 2023, the Judicial Friends Association marked its 42nd anniversary with the prestigious Rivers, Toney & Watson annual dinner, commemorating the pioneering achievements of African American judges in New York City. 

The event, held at Terrace on the Park in Queens, honored the first African American judges in the city’s history – Judges Francis Rivers, Charles Toney and James Watson.

The Judicial Friends Association, founded in 1976 to advocate for fair treatment of African American judges, judicial staff and attorneys, has since expanded to encompass all four federal districts in New York. This year’s gala recognized Chief Judge Rowan Wilson; Justice Dianne Renwick of the Appellate Division, 1st Dept.; and Justice Deborah Dowling of the Appellate Division, 2nd Dept.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The dinner, which began in 1980, honors Judges Francis E. Rivers, Charles E. Toney and James S. Watson, pioneers in their field, with Rivers being the highest-ranking Black judge in the nation when elected to the New York City Court in 1943.

Chief Judge Rowan Wilson, New York State’s first chief judge of color, delivered a poignant address at the gala, reflecting on the vital roles played by Judges Rivers, Toney, and Watson in shaping the judiciary. He highlighted Rivers’ instrumental role in creating the Harlem Municipal Court, which led to the election of Judges Toney and Watson.

“This was at a time when all of them could not be members of the ABA because they were Black,” Chief Judge Wilson said in amazement. “We should not forget or underestimate the effort it took Assemblyperson Rivers to create that court so that African Americans had the prospect of election to judicial office.”

Chief Judge Wilson emphasized the collective effort to improve New York’s legal landscape, highlighting the importance of the Harlem Community Justice Center as a symbol of this mission and a tribute to the legacy of Judges Rivers, Toney, and Watson.

“I’ll leave you with one final challenge,” he said. “Until the pandemic, we had a thriving Harlem Community Justice Center … To commemorate Judges Rivers, Toney and Watson, let’s work with the city to refurbish that building and reopen that community court in their names.”

The event, attended by approximately 350 guests, including more than 100 judges, was a testament to the Association’s impact. Among the notable attendees were Judges Jenny Rivera and Shirley Troutman of the Court of Appeals; Hon. Edwina Richardson, administrative judge for Justice Matters; Presiding Justice Hector La Salle, Appellate Division, 2nd Dept.; Judge Richard Sise, presiding judge of the Court of Claims; and Dean Kathie Davidson of the Judicial Institute.

Other distinguished guests included Justice Jeffrey Sunshine, statewide coordinating judge for matrimonial matters; Hon. Sylvia Hinds-Radix, New York City corporation counsel, Hon. Nancy Sunshine, county clerk of Kings County, and Hon. Milton Tingling, county clerk of New York County. The event also featured citations presented by Assemblymember Rodneyse Bichotte Hermelyn.

Hugh Campbell, president of the Foundation for the Judicial Friends, Inc., hosted the gala, during which scholarships were awarded to law students Shania Vincent from St. John Law School, Africa Owes from Fordham Law School and Rebecca Lafond from CUNY School of Law. Justice La Tia Martin and retired Judge Juanita Bing Newton established the Hon. Sheila Abdus Salaam Scholarship, awarding it to Lisa Ann London from Touro Law School.

The event’s master of ceremonies was Errol Louis, political anchor at Spectrum News NY1, and the audience was treated to performances by Jordan Leigh McCaskill, including renditions of the National Anthem and “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” The program began with an inspirational invocation by Hon. L. Priscilla Hall, associate justice of the Appellate Division, 2nd Dept., Ret.

The Rivers, Toney & Watson dinner remains a significant event in the legal community, celebrating the rich history and ongoing efforts of the Judicial Friends Association in championing diversity and representation in the judiciary.

See slideshow below