Court of Appeals orders new trial for ex-NBA player Sebastian Telfair in gun case

November 27, 2023 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Sebastian Telfair, once a rising star from Coney Island, was sentenced to three-and-a-half in prison for a gun charge stemming from a 2017 arrest. However, the NYS Court of Appeals ordered a new trial on Tuesday. Here, he is seen playing for Oklahoma City in 2014.Photo: John Minchillo/AP

In a significant reversal, the New York Court of Appeals has ordered a new trial for former NBA player Sebastian Telfair, overturning his 2017 conviction for criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree. 

This decision, issued on Tuesday by Court of Appeals Justice Caitlin Halligan, was based on legal arguments surrounding the admissibility of evidence from Telfair’s past.

Telfair, a Brooklyn native and former basketball phenom, was arrested in 2017 after a traffic stop where police discovered multiple firearms in his vehicle. Subsequently, he was convicted and sentenced to three and a half years in prison. 

Subscribe to our newsletters

This verdict was a dramatic fall for Telfair, who went straight to the NBA from high school and was once celebrated on magazine covers alongside LeBron James.

The central issue in Telfair’s appeal concerned the trial court’s inclusion of his previous weapon-related incidents as part of the evidence for his 2017 case, a decision rooted in the legal principle established by People v. Molineux. This principle allows for the admission of a defendant’s past wrongdoings to establish factors like intent or knowledge, rather than to simply show a tendency to commit crimes.

In Telfair’s 2017 case, the Court of Appeals identified a critical error in applying this principle. The 2017 arrest, which occurred following a routine traffic stop in Brooklyn, bore a notable resemblance to Telfair’s past incidents. 

During this stop, police discovered multiple loaded firearms in his vehicle, none of which were licensed in New York. This incident echoed Telfair’s previous encounters with the law where unlicensed firearms were found in his possession under similar circumstances. 

Despite these similarities, the Court of Appeals determined that the details of Telfair’s past incidents were not directly relevant to the specific charges he faced in 2017. They argued that the inclusion of these past incidents could unduly influence the jury by suggesting a pattern of behavior, rather than focusing on the specifics of the 2017 case. 

This was recognized as a significant misjudgment in the trial’s approach to evidence, leading to the decision for a new trial.

In her concurring opinion, Justice Rivera agreed with the majority on the Molineux issue but diverged on other aspects. She maintained that Telfair’s constitutional challenge to New York State’s gun licensing regime was preserved but found it without merit, referencing her dissent in People v. Garcia.

Justice Cannataro presented a contrasting perspective, arguing that the majority’s decision significantly deviated from established case law. He maintained that the past incidents were indeed relevant to establishing Telfair’s awareness or intent regarding the firearms found in his vehicle in 2017.

Cannataro criticized the majority’s distinction between lack of knowledge and mistake and emphasized the importance of trial courts’ discretion in such matters. He expressed concern that the majority’s decision could destabilize long-established legal precedents and affect public safety, especially in the context of rising gun crimes.

The Court of Appeals’ ruling to reverse the order of the Appellate Division and order a new trial highlights the intricate balance between legal precedent and the evaluation of evidence. It also underscores the ongoing challenges in gun crime cases, particularly in applying the Molineux rule.

Telfair’s journey from Brooklyn’s playgrounds to professional basketball stardom was nothing short of meteoric. Born and raised in Coney Island, Telfair emerged as a high school basketball prodigy at Abraham Lincoln High. His exceptional skills on the court quickly caught the eye of scouts and the media, catapulting him into the national spotlight.

Telfair’s high school career was marked by numerous accolades and national attention. He was celebrated as one of the brightest stars in the basketball firmament, a point guard with exceptional talent and promise. His prowess led him to be featured on the cover of “Slam” magazine in 2002 alongside LeBron James, with the publication heralding them as the future rulers of the basketball world.

In 2004, Telfair’s dream of playing in the NBA became a reality when he was drafted 13th overall by the Portland Trail Blazers. This move directly from high school to the NBA was a significant achievement that garnered a lot of media attention at the time.

His career in the NBA spanned 10 years, during which he played for several teams, including the Boston Celtics, Minnesota Timberwolves and Toronto Raptors. 

However, despite a promising start, Telfair’s performance in the league did not reach the heights many had anticipated. Telfair was playing in China for the Fuijan Sturgeons prior to his 2017 arrest. He last played in the NBA for the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2014, where he played in just 16 games.

In an unrelated incident, Telfair pleaded guilty to participating in a scheme to defraud the NBA Players’ Health and Welfare Benefit Plan in March 2023. Telfair, along with 18 other ex-NBA players, was involved in submitting false claims to the league’s healthcare plan. He admitted his involvement was driven by financial needs for legal fees related to a divorce and a previous criminal case.