First black tie gala by The Detective Rafael Ramos Foundation to honor legal and law enforcement luminaries

November 22, 2023 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
Arthur Aidala, esteemed attorney and past president of the Brooklyn Bar Association, set to be honored at The Detective Rafael Ramos Foundation's inaugural black tie gala.Photo: Robert Abruzzese/Brooklyn Eagle

The Detective Rafael Ramos Foundation is set to host its first black tie gala at Russo’s on the Bay in Howard Beach on November 30. The event, an elegant night of dinner and entertainment, aims to honor individuals who have significantly contributed to bridging the gap between the police and the community. 

The legal community is particularly interested in this gala due to the notable honorees from their sphere — including past president of the Brooklyn Bar Association Arthur Aidala and future attorney Jeffrey Maddrey, currently the chief of department at the NYPD.

The foundation, established in memory of the slain NYPD detective Rafael Ramos, has been pivotal in fostering positive police-community relations. Maritza Ramos, the widow of Detective Ramos, has spent years since her husband’s tragic death in 2014 providing support to schoolchildren in Bedford-Stuyvesant and working towards better police-community understanding.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Among those being honored at the gala are Arthur Aidala, a past president of the Brooklyn Bar Association and the host of The Arthur Aidala Power Hour, and the aforementioned Jeffrey Maddrey, who is currently a student at Touro Law Center. 

Jeffrey Maddrey (left), a law school student at Touro Law Center, with the Ramos family at a solemn ceremony at the NYPD's 84th Precinct, commemorating the life and service of Detective Rafael Ramos.
Jeffrey Maddrey (left), a law school student at Touro Law Center, with the Ramos family at a solemn ceremony at the NYPD’s 84th Precinct, commemorating the life and service of Detective Rafael Ramos.

Both have been instrumental in their respective fields in promoting justice and community service. Additionally, NYPD Police Commissioner Edward Caban will be recognized for his contributions to law enforcement.

The gala will also present the Gold Shield Award to Juan Zubizarreta and the Community Service awards to Det. Stephanie Sanchez and Police Officer Christopher Charles, acknowledging their exemplary service in community engagement.

The foundation’s mission resonates deeply with the legal community, especially in its efforts to raise awareness about the sacrifices of law enforcement officers and to support families affected by line-of-duty deaths. It also focuses on healing communities and fostering understanding between law enforcement and the public.