20+ ways to kick it at the Navy Yard this summer
The Brooklyn Navy Yard announced its summer lineup, and the calendar is jam-packed with tours, art exhibitions, concerts and maker workshops open to the public.
Whether you’re looking to get your downward dog on or partake in a hot dog eating contest, there’s sure to be something on tap for you at the Yard this summer.
Beginning July 18, BLDG 92 will stay open late for after-work cocktails and special art exhibitions on the third Thursday of every month. You can watch the sunset from a rooftop yoga class at Rooftop Reds every Sunday and Wednesday, or catch a Monday evening class on the patio at Brooklyn Grange.
Try a drop-in ceramics class on Tuesdays or Saturdays at Brooklyn Clay Industries, or treat yourself to a weekend history walk like the “WWII Tour of the Yard” or “Brooklyn Navy Yard: Past, Present & Future” from Turnstile Tours.
Rooftop Reds will host several recurring events this summer, like “Ribs and Rosé” on Sundays featuring all you can eat barbecue for $35, a Saturday rooftop brunch and movie nights on select Fridays and Saturdays throughout the summer, with showings of films like “Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion,” “Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle,” “American Psycho” and others.
“Seeing Things as They Really Are,” an art exhibition which explores the sculptural and 3D qualities of paper, will be on display in BLDG 92 and the Jordan Schnitzer Gallery through Sept. 8.
You can play a virtual pong game with your phone at “Play Array” by Urban Matter, a 6×8 interactive pixel grid, on display at Building 77 July through August.
The Yard’s Visiting Artist Program will feature five resident artists this year. Katie Merz will paint a mural on the bottom level of building 77. Kabir Carter, João Enxuto, Erica Love and Nathan Williams will also be onsite creating their own work inspired by the Yard’s history.
Check out the more detailed list of the Yard’s 2019 summer events below:
- June 22 – “When Brooklyn was Queer” talk with Hugh Ryan
- June 22 & Aug. 24 – “Urban Ecology” bike tour of the yard with Turnstile Tours
- July 4 – Macy’s Fireworks atop the Brooklyn Grange. Music, food and a hot dog eating contest at The Gatehouse at Kings County Distillery starring competitive eater Kobayashi.
- July 11 – Yoga in the Garden at the Naval Cemetery Landscape
- July 12, Aug. 2, Sept. 6 – local band Favorite States at Rooftop Reds
- July 18 – “Teletextile Sound Bath” at Naval Cemetery Landscape
- July 18 – Dieu Donné co-director of artistic projects Amy Jacobs with
- July 20 – “Future of Fashion” family workshop
- July 25 – Yoga in the Garden at the Naval Cemetery Landscape
- July 27 – “Whiskey Wars Tour and Tasting”
- Aug. 8 – Yoga in the Garden at the Naval Cemetery Landscape
- Aug. 10 – “Whiskey Wars Tour and Tasting”
- Aug. 10 – Back to School Bash
- Aug. 15 – “Teletextile Sound Bath” at Naval Cemetery Landscape
- Aug. 16 – “Taste of the Yard” Food & Beverage Tour
- Aug. 17 – “Modern Maritime” family workshop
- Aug. 22 – Yoga in the Garden at the Naval Cemetery Landscape
- Aug. 24 – Community Papermaking Demo & Workshop
- Sept. 12 – Yoga in the Garden at the Naval Cemetery Landscape
- Sept. 14 – “Whiskey Wars Tour and Tasting”
- Sept. 19 – “Teletextile Sound Bath” at Naval Cemetery Landscape
- Sept. 21 – “Sustainability” family workshop
- Sept. 26 – Yoga in the Garden at the Naval Cemetery Landscape
- Oct. 19 – Open House New York Weekend, the only day of the year when the Yard completely opens its site to the public.
Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment