Overheated wiring deemed cause of massive three-alarm fire in Sunset that injured at least five firefighters

July 10, 2018 Jaime DeJesus
Share this:

A three-alarm fire inside a Sunset Park building Monday was the result of overheated electrical wiring, officials have confirmed.

A multiple dwelling fire broke out at 764 57th St. at around 2:19 p.m. on Monday, July 9, spreading from the basement to the third floor. Flames also extended through electrical wires to 5618 Eighth Avenue.

Over 100 firefighters responded to the scene and the fire was deemed under control around 5 p.m.

At least five firefighters sustained non-life threatening injuries.

Subscribe to the Brooklyn Eagle

According to the FDNY, the cause of the fire was “accidental, electrical, overheated Con Edison wiring.”

Wires also fell onto the metal awning of the building, allowing the fire to extend and energize, according to officials.

The blaze came as Con Edison was working hard and fast to repair a massive outage in the area which left more than 6,000 customers without power in Dyker Heights alone for a portion of Monday afternoon.

The Red Cross was also on the scene to lend a helping hand.

“The Red Cross responded to the fire last night on 57th St. and provided emergency housing and financial assistance to one family (3 adults and 1 child),” a spokesperson said in a statement. “Over the next few days, Red Cross caseworkers will meet with the family to provide referrals to partners (government and other nonprofits) for further assistance.”


Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment