Bushwick

Bushwick Nostalgia: The Hotel Bossert’s builder lived in one of these houses, and the others are pretty great, too

April 1, 2015 By Lore Croghan Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Some fine, fine mansions were built on Bushwick Avenue a century or more ago. Charles Lindemann, an officer in Brooklyn's German Republican Club, was the original owner of 1890s-vintage 1001 Bushwick Ave. Eagle photos by Lore Croghan

Eye On Real Estate

The man who built Brooklyn Heights’ iconic Hotel Bossert lived in Bushwick among the beer barons.

Lumber plant owner Louis Bossert’s house, 1002 Bushwick Ave., was built in 1887,  according to a 2011 report about Bushwick Avenue by Columbia grad students. Though the exterior has been changed a bit, it’s still a handsome red-brick residence with a mansard roof.

The current owner, an LLC with Meir Tabak as an authorized member, bought the house in 2012 for $1.3 million, city Finance Department records indicate. The asking price had been $1.695 million, according to a flyer posted online by sale broker Massey Knakal Realty Services.

In December 2013, the owner filed plans with the city Buildings Department to add a floor to the building as well as expand horizontally and increase the number of residential units to 35 from 20.

The agency has issued a “partial job” permit for the project.   

The landmarked Catherina Lipsius House is on Bushwick Avenue, too

Catherina Lipsius and her family were the prosperous owners of a Bushwick brewery. The mansion she commissioned in 1889 was worthy of their station in life.

The American Round-Arched style house at 670 Bushwick Ave. has a pointy-roofed tower on one corner of it that makes it look like it belongs in an Edward Hopper painting. (We mean that as a compliment. This landmark is a seriously delectable piece of architectural eye candy.)

Lipsius was married twice and outlived both her husbands. She managed the Claus Lipsius Brewery after their deaths, according to the city Landmarks Preservation Commission’s designation report about the house.

Later, the mansion belonged to Dr. Frederick Cook — an explorer who claimed to reach the North Pole in 1908 but was declared a fraud by Robert Peary, whose own claim of making it there first in 1909 was recognized by an Act of Congress.

The Bushwick Avenue house has belonged since 2000 to Jean Baptiste Bruno and his wife, Rosa Bruno, city Finance Department records indicate.