On This Day in History, February 10: When They Still Preferred Vaudeville
Hollywood studios released 797 feature films in 1920. None of them talked. Movies had arrived in Brooklyn but were not yet the major attraction. Vaudeville was still going strong and legitimate theater was booming. Some of the major attractions were advertised in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle of Feb. 10, 1920:
The Majestic (now the BAM Harvey Theater), 651 Fulton Street, had Ernest Truex in No More Blondes.
Next door at the Mark Strand, the Strand Orchestra furnished a score for Mary Pickford’s silent Pollyanna. The Strand at that time advertised itself as “A National Institution.” It now houses BRIC Arts | Media | Bklyn.
At the Duffield in Downtown Brooklyn, Clara K. Young starred in Eyes of Youth.