New task force to explore AI’s role in the Appellate Division, Second Department

January 12, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor

Presiding Justice Hector LaSalle, along with the Justices of the Appellate Division, Second Department, announced on Thursday their intention to form a new task force dedicated to studying the interaction between artificial intelligence (AI) and the courts of the Appellate Division, Second Department. 

This pioneering initiative aims to understand how AI technologies can be effectively utilized within the judicial system while mitigating potential risks.

The Task Force, co-chaired by Associate Justices Hon. Angela Iannacci and Hon. Deborah Dowling, includes a diverse group of esteemed legal professionals. Among them are Hon. Tamiko Amaker, Administrative Judge of the Criminal Court of New York City; President-elect of the NYSBA Domenick Napoletano; Family Court Judge Hon. Ben Darvil, Jr.; Corporation Counsel Hon. Sylvia Hinds-Radix; District Attorney Eric Gonzalez; Hon. Jeffery Sunshine, Statewide Coordinating Judge for Matrimonial Matters; Hon. Carolyn Walker-Diallo, Administrative Judge, Civil Court of the City of New York, and others.

Subscribe to our newsletters

“The legal profession is not immune to the rapid evolution that is taking place in the field of artificial intelligence,” said Presiding Justice LaSalle. “As artificial intelligence technology rapidly advances, it is imperative for the courts to be prepared.

A new task force created by the Appellate Division, Second Department is dedicated to studying the interaction between artificial intelligence (AI) and the law. It will be chaired by Appellate Division Justices Hon. Angela Iannacci and Hon. Deborah Dowling.Photos: Robert Abruzzese/Brooklyn Eagle
A new task force created by the Appellate Division, Second Department is dedicated to studying the interaction between artificial intelligence (AI) and the law. It will be chaired by Appellate Division Justices Hon. Angela Iannacci and Hon. Deborah Dowling.
Photos: Robert Abruzzese/Brooklyn Eagle

“I am delighted that these well-respected and esteemed professionals have agreed to take part in this important Task Force,” Hon. LaSalle continued. “I am certain that their analysis and report will be instrumental in assisting the courts of the Second Department to prepare for the changes and challenges that artificial intelligence will bring to the legal profession.”

This groundbreaking effort is a response to the rapidly advancing field of AI and its potential implications for the legal profession. The Task Force is expected to engage with experts in AI and propose recommendations on how the Appellate Division, Second Department, and its trial courts can best harness AI technologies.

The initiative follows a symposium titled “Contemplating the Future of Artificial Intelligence and the Appellate Division, Second Department,” held at the court’s historic courtroom in Nov. 2023. The symposium featured experts such as Dorothy Auth, Esq., Professor Benjamin Liebman, Luca Melchionna, Esq., and Matthew Stepka, Esq., who shared insights on the intersection of AI and legal practices.

“I look forward to reviewing the recommendations of this impressive roster of legal professionals,” Hon. LaSalle said. “I believe it is essential to prepare for the future of artificial intelligence in our court system. I am confident this Task Force will be successful in its mission.”