Brooklyn Bar Association hosts 12th annual Hon. Theodore Jones Memorial Golf Outing

May 22, 2024 Robert Abruzzese, Courthouse Editor
The Brooklyn Bar Association Foundation hosted the 12th Annual Hon. Theodore T. Jones Memorial Golf Outing at the Colonia Country Club in New Jersey on Monday, May 13. Pictured are Adam Kalish, president of the Bay Ridge Lawyers Association, who runs the golf outing committee; outgoing President Joseph Rosato; and incoming President Anthony Vaughn, Jr. Brooklyn Eagle photos by Mario Belluomo

The Brooklyn Bar Association Foundation hosted the 12th Annual Hon. Theodore T. Jones Memorial Golf Outing at the Colonia Country Club in New Jersey on Monday, May 13. 

This year’s event, which saw significant participation and enthusiasm, was led by Adam Kalish, president of the Bay Ridge Lawyers Association and head of the golf outing committee. Kalish took over the committee from past president Anthony Lamberti, who ran the event for its first eleven years.

Kalish attributed the success of his first outing to outgoing President Joseph Rosato and incoming President Anthony Vaughn, Jr. 

“It is a testament to Joe and Anthony, their immense popularity, and the tremendous amount of work they put into this event that we were able to sell out all of our foursomes and hole sponsorships,” Kalish said. “Their dedication and commitment have been truly remarkable. We’ve organized a few outings since the onset of COVID, but none have captured the essence and spirit of our pre-pandemic gatherings quite like this one. This event has brought back a sense of normalcy and camaraderie that we have all missed, making it feel like old times again.”

Anthony Vaughn Jr., who will become the Brooklyn Bar Association’s first-ever Black male president on June 6, highlighted the event’s importance. 

“The Annual Theodore T. Jones, Jr. Memorial Golf Outing is an opportunity for our colleagues, friends, and members of our judiciary to gather together at the Colonia Country Club in the spirit of friendly competition and networking. It is due to the hard work of our subcommittee, coupled with the generosity of members of our bar association and sponsors, that enable the Brooklyn Bar Association to continue raising money for a deserving student at Brooklyn Law School in honor of Judge Theodore T. Jones Jr.”

The funds raised through the golf outing will go toward a $5,000 scholarship for a Brooklyn Law School student, to be announced in the fall.

The event honors the late Judge Theodore T. Jones, Jr., one of Brooklyn’s most respected jurists. 

Born in Brooklyn on March 10, 1944, Judge Jones had a distinguished career. He served as a justice of the New York Supreme Court from 1990 to 2007 and as a judge on the New York Court of Appeals from 2007 until his death in 2012. Judge Jones was known for his dedication to justice, his efforts to increase diversity within the judiciary, and his commitment to reducing wrongful convictions.

Judge Jones served with distinction as a field artillery officer in the U.S. Army. Commissioned as a second lieutenant upon graduating from Hampton University in 1965, he went on to complete Special Forces training at the John F. Kennedy School of Special Warfare at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Stationed in the Republic of Vietnam from June 1968 to July 1969, Judge Jones demonstrated exceptional leadership and bravery, earning the rank of captain before relinquishing his commission.

Throughout his distinguished career, Judge Jones received numerous accolades for his contributions to the legal profession and his commitment to justice. His honors included the Brooklyn Bar Association’s Judicial Excellence Award and Special Appreciation Award, the National Bar Association’s Gertrude Rush Award, and the New York State Bar Association’s Diversity Trailblazer Award and Lifetime Achievement Award. 

Additionally, Judge Jones was honored by various organizations such as the Catholic Lawyers Guild, the Jewish Lawyers Guild and the Macon B. Allen Black Bar Association. He was recognized for his efforts to promote diversity and justice, including receiving the Medgar Evers College President’s Medal and the New York State Trial Lawyers Association’s Excellence in Jurisprudence Award. 

Judge Jones’s legacy is marked by honorary memberships and degrees from prestigious institutions such as the Kings County Inns of Court and both Pace Law School and St. John’s University School of Law, each awarding him an Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree (LL.D.). His influential work as co-chair of the New York State Justice Task Force aimed to address and reduce wrongful convictions, further cementing his impact on the legal community.

The golf outing serves as a tribute to Judge Jones’ memory and contributions, and the funds raised through this event continue to support legal education in his honor. The Brooklyn Bar Association remains committed to upholding the values and principles Judge Jones exemplified throughout his career.