Brooklyn Boro

LIU Sharks lose to Syracuse to complete trip

Early lead flushed as LIU settles for 2-2 before home opener

November 22, 2022 John Torenli, Sports Editor

Ahead of their long-awaited home opener, the Long Island University women’s basketball team put a little fear into the hearts of a Big East rival last Thursday.

Emaia O’Brien scored a team-high 18 points and Iris Mbulito added 13, but the Sharks saw a surprising early lead evaporate en route to an 85-63 loss to host Syracuse University in front of 1,084 fans at the IMA Wireless Dome.

“We came out strong and we played with a lot of heart. We accepted the challenge, we played hard and worked together,” LIU head coach Rene Haynes said after watching her determined unit run out to a seven-point lead in the first quarter only to trail 36-27 at the half.

The Sharks (2-2) split a season-opening four-game road trip, but will be back at Downtown’s Steinberg Wellness Center Tuesday night for their Brooklyn opener vs. NJIT.

“I’m proud of this team,” Haynes added. “I have all the confidence in the world in them and we are ready to keep pushing forward.”

After hosting the Highlanders, the Sharks will head out west to take on UC Irvine on Friday and UC Riverside on Saturday.

They’ll return to Brooklyn on Dec. 3 to host Iona on Professor Appreciation Day.

The St. Francis Brooklyn women’s team got another fine effort from Northeast Conference Prime Performer Alyssa Fisher, but not much else in a 64-59 loss to UMBC Sunday afternoon on Remsen Street.

Fisher, who captured NEC Player of the Week honors earlier this month, put up 19 points and Sheridan Kavanagh added 12 for the Terriers (1-4), who dropped their fourth in a row since a season-opening win over visiting College at Old Westbury.

Alyssa Fisher’s 19 points were enough to earn her NEC Prime Performer honors but left the Terriers short of a win vs. UMBC on Remsen Street. Photo courtesy of SFC Brooklyn Athletics

Averaging 16.8 points per game this year, Fisher and the Terriers will return to the hardwood Wednesday afternoon at Boston University.

On the men’s side, the Terriers climbed to 2-2 Saturday with a 61-58 win over Saint Peter’s in their final game at Daniel Lynch ’38 Gymnasium.

Larry Moreno scored 14 of his season-high 19 points in the second half and Josiah Harris added 16 points and 13 rebounds for SFC, which will travel to Florida this week to take on Miami on Wednesday and USF on Friday.

The LIU men are also in Florida this week to participate in the Fort Myers Tip-Off Tournament.

The Sharks (1-2), who are coming off last Thursday’s loss at Marquette, will meet South Dakota on Tuesday and will play in either a consolation game or the tournament final Wednesday.

Over at Brooklyn College, the Lady Bulldogs suffered a 104-66 drubbing at the hands of Emmanuel Sunday in the finale of the Tip-Off Classic in Boston.

Senior standout Gianna Gotti scored 15 points and Dasha Goodman and Aleah Rafat added 10 apiece for BC (1-3), which will return to action Nov. 28 vs. Rutgers-Newark at the West Quad Center.

The BC men’s squad dropped its fourth in a row Saturday in a 56-55 heartbreaker to Cabrini College in Radnor, Pennsylvania.

Elisha Park had 18 points and Kayin Olajide added 15 points and 15 boards for the Bulldogs, who will visit Farmingdale State on Tuesday.

***

The St. Francis Brooklyn men’s water polo team came up one win shy of reaching the NCAA Final Four in Providence, Rhode Island last weekend. Photo courtesy of SFC Brooklyn Athletics

In other local college sports news, the SFC men’s water polo team came up just short in its bid to capture the Northeast Water Polo Conference Championship for the fifth time in program history last weekend.

The Terriers, who finished with a 21-10 mark for their most wins since 2013, beat No. 6 seed MIT and third-seeded Harvard before falling to No. 1 Princeton in the final, leaving them just shy of a Final Four appearance.

Subscribe to our newsletters