Brooklyn Boro

Nets defer Sixers’ pick back to 2023

Will take their chances next year with first-round selection

June 9, 2022 John Torenli, Sports Editor

While Brooklynites wait to see if Kyrie Irving will be back with the Nets next year or on a long-term deal, general manager Sean Marks is already busy getting ready for this month’s NBA Draft at Downtown’s Barclays Center.

ESPN reported Wednesday that the Nets have deferred the acquisition of Philadelphia’s 2022 first-round pick to 2023. Brooklyn would have picked 23rd overall in the opening round had they not pushed back the selection.

Marks gave the league his decision just ahead of the midnight deadline, clearing the way for him to either trade that pick on June 23, or to hope that the Sixers finish worse next season, bolstering the value of the pick.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Brooklyn traded Harden and veteran Paul Millsap to Philadelphia ahead of the February deadline this past season, receiving Ben Simmons, who has yet to log a single minute for the Nets, Seth Curry and Andre Drummond.

The Nets also received an unprotected 2022 first-round pick and a top-eight protected pick in 2027.

Brooklyn doesn’t yet have a first-round pick in this year’s draft.

That selection, slotted for 17th overall, was dealt to Houston in the 2021 trade-deadline deal that brought Harden here.

Irving, who came to our borough in 2019 to team up with Kevin Durant and grab the Nets their first-ever NBA title, is eligible for free agency later this month unless he inks a long-term deal with Brooklyn or decides to take his $37 million option for next year.

Last month, Marks indicated that the team would like Irving to be more consistent in his availability if they sign him to a five-year pact.

A Daily News report two weeks later indicated that the team is showing an “unwillingness” to sign Irving long term.

Nets general manager Sean Marks is busy dealing with offseason decisions, especially as Brooklyn waits to see if Kyrie Irving will be back next season. AP Photo by Matt Slocum

***

The Brooklyn-based New York Liberty were also busy making moves Wednesday.

The team announced that they have acquired the draft rights to forward Raquel Carrera from the Atlanta Dream in exchange for guard AD Durr.

The player contract of Megan Walker was also acquired in the trade with the Dream and was subsequently waived by the Liberty, the team revealed.

Durr, New York’s No. 2 overall pick in 2019, was averaging 1.4 points per game in 10 contests this season after missing the entire 2020 and 2021 campaigns due to COVID-19.

“AD is truly one of the best people I have had the honor to know,” said Liberty general manager Jonathan Kolb.

“Seeing them grow and come into their own over the years has been so heartening. Their perseverance is second to none, and I wish them nothing but the absolute best as they enter the next chapter of their WNBA career.”

Carrera, Atlanta’s No. 15 overall selection in 2021, has yet to make her WNBA debut, but has played for Valencia Basket in Spain alongside Liberty guard Rebecca Allen.

The 20-year-old forward averaged 6.9 points, 3.4 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game across 20 combined Liga Femenina Endesa and EuroCup contests this past season.

Following the trade, the Liberty signed guard Marine Johannès to a rest-of-season contract.

Johannès, who last played for New York in 2019, averaged 7.2 points, 2.4 assists and 1.8 boards in 18.2 minutes per game over 19 contests while converting on 43.6 percent of her shots from the field and 37.9 percent from 3-point range.

***

Senior Harald Sollund of SFC Brooklyn was named the NEC Male Team Athlete of the Year Wednesday. Photo courtesy of SFC Brooklyn Athletics

In local college sports news, senior defender Harald Sollund of the St. Francis Brooklyn men’s soccer club was named the Northeast Conference Men’s Team Student-Athlete of the Year on Wednesday.

“I am incredibly honored to receive this award! I want to thank the NEC for giving me this honor, which I could not have earned without the help of my coaches, professors, and teammates,” said Sollund.

“This is an incredible way to cap off our year and I am thankful that I can represent St. Francis Brooklyn men’s soccer with this recognition.”

The award, presented annually by the NEC, recognizes individual excellence in both the academic and athletic realms as well as leadership and contributions to one’s community.

“Harald has been a champion on the field and the classroom during his time at St. Francis, and I am incredibly happy for him to receive this award,” said SFC director of athletics Irma Garcia.

“I believe Harald’s recognition reflects the positive growth of our Athletic Department, and we hope our student-athletes continue to be recognized going forward. I commend his hard work and passion.”

Sollund, who exited the Remsen Street school as back-to-back winner of the NEC Defensive Player of the Year award, also was named to the All-NEC First Team and United Soccer Coaches All-Northeast First Team.

During his senior year, the Norwegian back-liner helped the Terriers limit opponents to 1.12 goals per game before SFC lost to arch rival Long Island University in the NEC Championship Game.

In the classroom, Sollund graduated in May with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Management, finishing with a 3.78 GPA.

“Congratulations to Harald on being the first member of our program to win this prestigious award. He exemplifies everything our program stands for,” said SFC head men’s soccer coach Tom Giovatto.

“He is appreciated and supported by so many young athletes in our community who admired his presence on and off the field. We are proud to see him recognized for this honor, and hope to see many more follow his footsteps.”