Brooklyn Boro

Flowers helps Sharks rebound in Jersey

Grad student puts up 30 points, 15 rebounds in win over FDU

January 25, 2022 John Torenli, Sports Editor

Ty Flowers is a strong candidate for Northeast Conference Player of the Year honors.

He’d rather grab another NCAA Tournament berth for the Long Island University men’s basketball team.

Flowers helped both causes Sunday afternoon in Hackensack, N.J., scoring 30 points and grabbing 15 rebounds as the Sharks rallied for a 79-75 victory over NEC rival Fairleigh Dickinson in front of 107 fans at Stratis Arena.

The 6-foot-9 graduate student added four assists and three blocked shots while making 11-of-16 shots, including a 4-of-8 performance from 3-point range.

With the Sharks (8-10, 5-3 NEC) trailing by eight points midway through the second half, Flowers hit a shot from beyond the arc and added a basket plus a foul on his ensuing trip to spark a 13-3 run.

LIU used an 8-0 run to open a 76-68 lead with just under three minutes to play before holding on down the stretch for its fifth win in six games.

The Sharks also bounced back from their first home loss of the year, Friday’s 92-89 overtime setback to Wagner on Flatbush Avenue, ending a season-opening six-game winning streak in Brooklyn.

Eral Penn had 18 points and 11 boards and Isaac Kante added 13 points for LIU, which will try to begin a new winning streak and bolster its third-place standing in the conference Thursday night at Central Connecticut State.

***

Jack Hemphill and the SFC Brooklyn Terriers couldn’t put together back-to-back NEC wins Sunday, losing to Bryant in Smithfield, R.I. Photo courtesy of SFC Brooklyn Athletics

Grad student forward Patrick Emilien scored 17 points and ripped down a career-best 12 rebounds Sunday in Smithfield, Rhode Island, but the St. Francis Brooklyn men’s basketball team suffered an 85-68 loss to NEC foe Bryant in front of 985 college hoops fanatics at the Chace Athletic Center.

Rob Higgins had 15 points, Jack Hemphill added 13 and Tedrick Wilcox Jr. finished with 11 points and a team-high 13 rebounds for the Terriers (5-14, 2-6), who failed to build on their second conference win of the campaign, Friday’s 80-78 victory at FDU.

SFC, which is in a three-way tie for the final two spots in the NEC Tournament, will be back at it Thursday night at Sacred Heart in Fairfield, Connecticut.

***

On the women’s side, the Terriers won for the fifth time in their last six games Sunday afternoon on Remsen Street, besting visiting Bryant 69-56 in front of 135 fans at the Pope Center.

Nevena Dimitrijevic piled up 17 points, six assists and a season-high four steals for SFC (9-7, 5-1), which is tied for second place in the NEC, two games behind FDU.

Fruzsina Horvath added 15 points and Ally Lassen had 12 for the Terriers, who will host Sacred Heart in Brooklyn Heights on Thursday.

Over at LIU, Shyla Sanford had nine points and Kennedy Taylor and Kiara Bell added six apiece as the Sharks endured a 49-36 loss to visiting FDU in front of 120 fans at the Steinberg Wellness Center.

The Sharks (2-14, 2-6), who had won two of their previous three contests, return to the hardwood Thursday vs. CCSU here in Brooklyn.

***

The Brooklyn College Bulldogs are still unbeaten in CUNYAC action, boasting a perfect 6-0 mark. Photo courtesy of BC Athletics

In local Division III hoops action, the red-hot Brooklyn College women’s team remained perfect in CUNYAC play, cruising to a 77-47 rout of York College last Friday at the West Quad Gymnasium.

Reigning two-time CUNYAC Player of the Week Chanel Jemmot led the Bulldogs (11-2, 6-0) with 25 points as BC won its fifth in a row to begin January and remained perfect against the league opponents.

Ericka James added 20 points and Sarah Labiner finished with 18 for the Bulldogs, who were scheduled to visit Pratt Institute on Tuesday.

The BC men (2-13, 1-4) suffered a 92-81 loss to York in Brooklyn last Friday and will try to get back on track Tuesday night at Medgar Evers.

Subscribe to our newsletters