Brooklyn Boro

Sharks sink Terriers on Remsen Street

LIU cruises past Brooklyn rival SFC in first meeting of year

January 19, 2022 John Torenli, Sports Editor

The Long Island University men’s basketball team won its first road game of the season Monday afternoon.

And the Sharks only had to travel a little over half a mile to do so.

Sophomore Kyndall Davis scored a game-high 19 points and Northeast Conference Player of the Year candidate Ty Flowers added 13 points and nine rebounds as LIU topped Brooklyn rival St. Francis College, 80-65, on Monday afternoon in front of 325 fans at Remsen Street’s Pope Center.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Davis, who finished 8-of-15 from the floor, including 3-of-5 from 3-point range, also picked up three steals for the Sharks (7-9, 4-2 NEC), who climbed into second place in the league standings and won their season-high fourth straight game.

Tre Wood had 13 points and Alex Rivera added 13 for LIU, which ended an 0-9 drought in road contests this year by staving off the Terriers (4-13, 1-5) with a 10-0 run in the final minute of regulation.

Larry Moreno scored 13 points and Jack Hemphill and Trey Quartlebaum added 11 apiece for SFC, which lost its third in a row and fell into a tie for the ninth and final postseason spot in the conference standings.

Unlike the previous eight-team fields, the NEC this year added a ninth team to the tournament race.

The Terriers, who will be in Teaneck, N.J., on Friday to visit Fairleigh Dickinson, will get another shot at the rival Sharks on Feb. 10 at LIU’s Steinberg Wellness Center on Flatbush Avenue.

The St. Francis Brooklyn Terriers fought hard, but ultimately fell short in Monday’s Battle of Brooklyn game vs. visiting LIU. Photo courtesy of SFC Brooklyn Athletics

The Sharks, who are a perfect 6-0 at home, will look for their fifth consecutive victory overall here in Brooklyn on Friday vs. Wagner College.

LIU is two games behind the Seahawks for the top spot in the NEC.

***

On the women’s side, the LIU women’s team nearly completed the local sweep, but suffered a 59-53 loss to SFC Brooklyn Monday night in front of just under 100 fans at the Wellness Center.

The Sharks (1-13, 1-3) were seeking their second straight win after ending a season-opening 12-game slide with Saturday’s victory at Central Connecticut State.

But the Terriers (8-6, 4-2) got a season-high 17 points from Khaleah Edwards and 12 from Zharia Hutchinson en route to their season-high fourth straight win, moving SFC one game behind FDU for the top spot in the league.

Freshman sensation Emaia O’Brien had 16 points and senior Brandy Thomas added 10 for LIU, which squandered a late lead by getting outscored, 22-12, in the fourth quarter.

LIU will be back at it Friday at Wagner while the Terriers shoot for five in a row and a share of first place by hosting FDU here Friday.

***

Over at Brooklyn College, senior forward Chanel Jemmott was named the CUNYAC Women’s Player of the Week Tuesday after leading the Bulldogs to a perfect 3-0 mark in conference play entering Wednesday’s tilt vs. CCNY at the West Quad Center.

Jemmott, a graduate of Leon M. Goldstein High School, averaged 17.7 points and 15.3 rebounds per contest over the three-game stretch, including a season-high 28-point effort at Baruch College last Wednesday.

The BC men (1-12, 0-3) will also host CCNY Wednesday, looking for their first CUNYAC win of the year.

Khaleah Edwards’ sharp-shooting spearheaded SFC Brooklyn past local rival LIU on Flatbush Avenue Monday night. Photo courtesy of SFC Brooklyn Athletics

***

Back at LIU, Paul McCarthy, an experienced senior athletics administrator and attorney with an extensive background in higher education, was named the Sharks’ Deputy Director of Athletics Tuesday.

McCarthy is returning to the tri-state area from his position as Athletics General Counsel in the University of Mississippi athletics department.

He brings more than 25 years of experience and expertise to the Sharks, including serving as the Deputy Director of Athletics at the University of Connecticut for five years.

“We’re excited that Paul has joined our team here at LIU,” Sharks Director of Athletics Dr. William E. Martinov Jr., said.

“Paul brings a strong and successful background in Division I administrative experience that will help lead our department to new levels. We welcome Paul and his family to Shark Nation!”