Brooklyn Boro

Terriers topped by Lafayette in Easton

Own goal, late tally denies SFC its first winning streak

September 15, 2021 John Torenli, Sports Editor

After ending their season-opening winless skid with a 2-0 victory over Saint Peter’s at Brooklyn Bridge Park on Saturday, the reigning Northeast Conference champion St. Francis Brooklyn men’s soccer team appeared on the verge of its first two-game winning streak of the year Tuesday night.

But the Lafayette College Leopards had other ideas.

Burned by an own goal and Marcos Kitromilides’ late tally, the Terriers absorbed a tough 2-1 loss to Lafayette in front of 138 fans at Oaks Stadium in Easton, Pennsylvania.

Leading 1-0 following senior forward El Mahdi Yousouffi’s second goal of the year in the 26th minute, SFC appeared primed to begin the type of run that led it into and almost through the second round of the NCAA Championships earlier this year.

However, the contest was equalized when the Terriers (1-3-1) committed the cardinal sin of putting the ball in their own net in the 64th minute.

From there, a game that featured eight yellow cards and an ejection for SFC fifth-year defender Vicente Gallardo was a back-and-forth, tooth-and-nail battle until Kitromilides put the Leopards (3-3) in front to stay with just over 10 minutes to play.

Sophomore goaltender David Santiago made three saves for the Terriers, who will be back on the pitch looking for their second win of the season Saturday at Brown in Providence, Rhode Island.

The Terriers will open the true defense of their fifth NEC title in the past eight years on Sept. 26 at Howard University in Washington, D.C.

The Long Island University men’s soccer team climbed to the top of the NEC non-conference standings last Saturday with a late rally of their own.

Sophomores Emil Jaaskelainen, Assane Ben Fall and Andre Puente scored over the final 30 minutes of regulation to give the Sharks a 3-1 victory over the University of Maryland-Baltimore County in front of 134 fans at LIU Soccer Park.

Junior netminder Demetri Skoumbakis had three saves for the Sharks (2-2-1), who were scheduled to host LaSalle here on Wednesday and Columbia on Friday.

The Sharks will also visit Manhattan College next Tuesday before opening their NEC slate Sept. 26 at Central Connecticut State.

Sophomore defender Andre Puente had a goal and an assist in LIU’s 3-1 win over UMBC in Brookville, N.Y., on Saturday. Photo courtesy of LIU Athletics

On the women’s side, the Terriers suffered a 2-0 loss at Binghamton on Sunday to drop to 1-3-3 on the season.

Junior goaltender Klil Keshwar stopped six shots for SFC, which will start its NEC schedule Thursday afternoon at Brooklyn Bridge Park vs. Bryant.

Winless in their first four contests, the LIU ladies will try to get off the schneid Sunday at SFC Brooklyn in their NEC opener.

The Sharks (0-3-1) will enjoy a two-week break following their 2-1 loss to Manhattan College in Brookville, N.Y., on Sept. 5.

Over at Brooklyn College, the men’s squad had its season-opening losing streak extended to four games with Monday’s loss at Farmingdale State.

The BC ladies fell to 0-2 with Monday night’s 3-0 home loss to Sarah Lawrence.

***

Senior Ezri Shor notched her 1,000th assist in women’s volleyball for Brooklyn College against St. Joseph’s Long Island on Tuesday. Photo courtesy of BC Athletics

In other local college sports news, LIU volleyball senior Jovana Stekovic was named the Molten/Northeast Conference Co-Player of the Week Tuesday.

Stekovic had a career-high 24 kills in LIU’s five-set win over Jacksonville on Friday.

She averaged 4.14 kills and 3.07 digs per set over three matches to earn All-Tournament team honors at the two-day invitational.

At Brooklyn College, senior setter Ezri Shor notched her 1,000th career assist in women’s volleyball during Tuesday’s four-set triumph over St Joseph’s Long Island.

Shor, who wasn’t able to play a single match for the Bulldogs last season due to the campaign’s cancellation for COVID-19 concerns, accomplished the feat in just her third full year competing at BC.

Subscribe to our newsletters