Brooklyn Boro

Terriers suffer first loss in Philadelphia

Drop tough 1-0 decision at non-conference rival LaSalle

August 31, 2021 John Torenli, Sports Editor

The St. Francis Brooklyn men’s soccer squad knows its journey back to the NCAA Tournament will rely most heavily on how it fares in defense of its Northeast Conference title.

But that doesn’t mean the Terriers don’t want to play well against non-conference opponents.

Despite their vaunted defensive tenacity, head coach Tom Giovatto’s squad remained winless through two games to start the fall campaign, dropping a 1-0 decision at LaSalle in Philadelphia on Monday in front of 422 fans at McCarthy Stadium.

Subscribe to our newsletters

The Terriers (0-1-1), who rolled to their fifth NEC crown in eight years this past spring before stunning Milwaukee in their opening game of the NCAAs and falling to No. 3 Indiana via shootout in round two, opened the campaign at
Brooklyn Bridge Park last Thursday with a 1-1 draw vs. UMass-Lowell.

Fifth-year midfielder Ivan Tapuskovic scored the lone goal in the 72nd minute to get SFC even, but none of the Terriers were able to reach the back of the net in Philly on Monday night.

Nigel Buckley’s tally in the 74th minute snapped a scoreless deadlock, and despite six saves from sophomore goalie David Santiago, the Terriers remained winless during this early portion of the season.

SFC will get another shot at win No. 1 on Saturday at Monmouth, one of four matches remaining before the Terriers begin defense of their NEC title on Sept. 26 at Howard University in Washington, D.C.

***

Goalie Demetri Skoumbakis made six saves to help LIU pull out a 1-0 overtime victory at St. Joseph’s in Philadelphia Sunday. Photo courtesy of LIU Athletics

Over at Long Island University, the men’s soccer squad, which lost the NEC title match to SFC at BPP earlier this year, evened its record at 1-1 with Sunday night’s 1-0 overtime victory at St. Joseph’s in Philadelphia.

The Sharks (1-1) bounced back from last Thursday’s season-opening 1-0 loss at Stony Brook thanks to sophomore Emil Jaaskelainen’s goal two minutes into the extra session.

Junior goalie Demetri Skoumbakis made six saves for the shutout as LIU built some momentum for Saturday’s visit to the Bronx to take on Fordham.

The Sharks will begin the NEC portion of their schedule Sept. 26 at Central Connecticut State.

***

Lydia Fraga Cordoba stopped a penalty shot and made four other saves to help LIU to a scoreless draw vs. Stony Brook last Thursday. Photo courtesy of LIU Athletics

On the women’s side, the Sharks fell to 0-1-1 after battling Stony Brook to a scoreless draw last Thursday night in Brookville, N.Y.

Senior netminder Lydia Fraga Cordoba made five big saves for the Sharks, stopping a penalty shot in the 52nd minute.

LIU will be back on the pitch Thursday at the University of Vermont.

The SFC women’s squad played to a 1-1 draw against Canisius Sunday at BPP.

Senior Barbara Zagonyi netted the equalizer in the 65th minute for the Terriers (1-2-1), who got four saves from junior goalie Klil Keshwar.

SFC returns to action at the University of New Hampshire on Thursday evening.

***

The Terriers’ athletic department announced Monday that fans will be allowed back at the Remsen Street school’s indoor and outdoor events this season.

However, all guests must adhere to the college’s COVID-19 policies, including wearing masks at all indoor events regardless of vaccination status.

Also, fans must show proof of vaccination before entering an indoor arena, and anyone under the age of 12 will only be admitted with a fully vaccinated adult.