Brooklyn Boro

SFC’s Horvath helps Hungary to title

Terrier forward contributes to Under-20 championship

July 28, 2021 John Torenli, Sports Editor

Reigning Northeast Conference Rookie of the Year Fruzsina Horvath got a head start on her sophomore campaign at St. Francis Brooklyn last week, helping her native Hungary to the FIBA Under-20 Women’s European Challenger women’s basketball championship in Sopron, Hungary.

Horvath, who followed teammate Nevena Dimitrijevic as the second straight Terrier to be named the league’s top rookie this past season, scored 10 points in 22 minutes in the title game against Spain on Friday at Novomatic Arena Sopron.

This came after she put up a tournament-high 16 points against the Czech Republic and another 10 vs. Ireland earlier in the week.

“I think the biggest advantage of playing on the national team, is that you get to practice with the best players in your country,” said Horvath, who averaged 12.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per contest during her sensational freshman campaign on Remsen Street.

“Even to play against them on practice is a great opportunity to become a better player,” she added. “The last week was great closure of the national team’s journey. I hope that I can use this experience, next season.”

So does SFC head coach Linda Cimino, who saw her team struggle to a 4-10 record last season during the COVID-19 abbreviated campaign despite having budding young stars like Horvath and Dimitrijevic.

“We’d like to congratulate Fruszina on winning a championship with the U20 team in her native Hungary.” said Cimino. “It’s an honor for her to represent her home country on the international stage. All of us in Brooklyn Heights are proud of her continuous accomplishments.”

Horvath, a Budapest native, will be back in Brooklyn Heights trying to help the Terriers to their second NEC crown and first since 2015 during the 2021-22 campaign.

“Playing for the national team is always a great honor. We spent every summer playing together on the European and World Championship teams for seven years,” she said.

“During those years, we were one of the most successful generations in Hungary, so we went through a lot as a team. This was our last tournament together, and finishing this chapter with a trophy was very special, and emotional.”

SFC Brooklyn sophomore Fruzsina Horvath and the Hungary women’s national Under-20 team celebrate their title last Friday in Sopron. Photo courtesy of SFC Brooklyn Athletics

***

In other local college sports news, Long Island University announced Monday that Jinnie Pratt will be the new head coach of the women’s rugby program.

“We’re excited to have Jinnie Pratt join the Shark family!” said LIU athletic director Dr. Wiliam E. Martinov.

“Jinnie brings a wealth of rugby experience to LIU, both as a player and a coach. Her passion for the game, experience playing and coaching at a national and international level, and her ability to relate to the student-athlete will play a major role in the team’s future success. Welcome Coach Pratt!”

Pratt arrives at the school’s Brookville, N.Y., campus after working in youth rugby, coaching high school and college rugby as well as women’s and men’s club teams.

She worked with the men’s rugby club teams at both Sam Houston State and Georgetown University while leading the Bearkats to their first Texas 15s Championship in 15 years in 2018.

Pratt also enjoyed stints with the All-Army Women’s 7s program in 2019 and 2021 as an assistant coach.

“I am honored and elated for the opportunity to continue my rugby journey with LIU Rugby,” she said.

“I want to thank Dr. Martinov, Lloyd Ribner and Deirdre Moore for the chance to lead this program into the future. My goal is to continue the development of the program and athletes as representatives of both the university and the sport of rugby. This role is a dream come true for me, and I am so excited to get started!”

***

Brooklyn College multi-sport star Anna Curran is a nominee for the 2021 NCAA Woman of the Year award. Photo courtesy of BC Athletics

Over at Brooklyn College, multi-sport standout Anna Curran was nominated for the NCAA’s Woman of the Year award after graduating with a 3.5 grade-point average and competing on the women’s soccer, swimming and diving and softball teams.

Before finishing her degree in Exercise Science, Curran helped BC to the guided the CUNYAC Women’s Soccer Championship semifinals in 2019, played 80 games for the Bulldogs’ softball squad and was named a 2020-21 Scholar Athlete of the Year.

Curran was the school’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) President while volunteering for a number of community service and campus projects, including serving Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless and coaching youth sports clinics.

For her sportsmanship, dedication and leadership, Anna was voted 2020 Athlete of the Year at the Make a Difference Awards ceremony presented by the Brooklyn College Division of Student Affairs.