Brooklyn Boro

Around Brooklyn: Myrie slams Postal Service refusal to testify

August 11, 2020 Editorial Staff
Bright flowers bloomed on Daffodil Hill the day before Brooklyn Botanic Garden closed to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Photo: Lore Croghan/Brooklyn Eagle

Myrie slams Postal Service refusal to testify

State Sen. Zellnor Myrie (D-Brownsville-Crown Heights-East Flatbush-Gowanus-Park Slope) recently commented on the U.S. Postal Service’s refusal to testify at a joint public hearing on the 2020 elections. “In a year when postal workers are as critical to our elections as poll workers, it is important to understand exactly what steps the USPS is taking to safeguard the vote. If the Postal Service continues to refuse to answer our questions, my colleagues and I may be forced to take additional steps to compel their testimony and ensure their compliance with the law,” he said.

Bonina updates lawyers on child victims cases

DAILY TOP BROOKLYN NEWS
News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

Attorney John Bonina of Bonina & Bonina, a Brooklyn law firm, recently appeared before an online forum of the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers to update members on New York Child Victims cases. Earlier this month, Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed legislation that extended the window to file claims to Aug. 14, 2021. “We are proud to stand with the survivors of childhood sexual abuse, and to fight for them and with them,” Bonina said. The webinar Bonina participated in was called “The Road to Recovery: Litigating NY Child Victims Act Cases,” according to Yahoo Finance.

Partygoers turn Nerthermead in to a netherworld

Partygoers in Prospect Park last week left behind huge piles of litter. Joggers, bike riders and dog walkers were stunned Monday morning by the amount of garbage in a section of the Neterhmead. Liquor bottles, paper bags, food scraps, plastic cups and even a camping chair were found. One park-goer, Kevin Williams, got a trash bag from a park worker and began picking up the litter himself. He said a party of about 2,000 people lasted until about 3 a.m., according to the Daily News.

Brooklyn man admits to trying to help ISIS

A Brooklyn man pleaded guilty in federal court Monday to attempting to provide material support to ISIS and distributing bomb-making instructions. Zachary Clark, 40, was tried in Manhattan Federal Court. The complaint said that beginning in March 2019, Clark distributed ISIS propaganda in encrypted chat rooms, including calls for ISIS supporters to commit “lone wolf” attacks in New York City. The complaint also said that Clark shared directions on how to select a target, how to conduct pre-operational surveillance and how to avoid attracting law enforcement attention. On one occasion, Clark posted a manual titled “Knife Attacks,” according to NBC News.

-->

Man robs, gropes woman on subway train

Detectives are looking for a man who displayed a hypodermic needle while robbing and then groping a young woman on a subway train in Brooklyn. Police recently released video footage of the attack, which occurred on Aug. 6 on an M train heading into the Central Avenue station in Bushwick. Police said the suspect first approached a middle-aged man, who handed him $4 in cash. The perp then walked up to a 24-year-old woman, displayed the needle and demanded money. She gave him $10, whereupon he grabbed her buttocks. The man ran out of the train at Central Avenue, according to amNewYork.

Schumer: Stimulus isn’t stimulating enough

U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer, the Senate majority leader and a lifelong Brooklynite, recently outlined what he sees as problems in President Donald Trump’s just-announced executive orders. Schumer said Trump’s actions totally leave out money for state and local governments. He also said the orders totally exclude money for schools to reopen safely. “The executive orders can be summed up in three words: unworkable, weak and narrow,” said Schumer.

Director of ‘Yusuf Hawkins’ sees parallels with today

An HBO documentary that is now being released, “Yusuf Hawkins: Storm Over Brooklyn,” deals with the 1989 incident in which a group of Black youths, who had visited Bensonhurst to look at a used car, were pursued by a group of white youths carrying baseball bats, resulting in a shooting that killed Yusuf Hawkins. Director Muta’Ali said that the difference between the events of that time and police shootings like the Breonna Taylor incident was that Hawkins was killed by a teenager, not a cop, and that the shooter, Joseph Fama, was eventually tried and convicted. Muta’Ali said that even though the killer was brought to justice, there were about 30 people in the mob that pursued Yusuf and his friends, and only seven faced charges, according to Variety. Apparently, Fama and his crew were waiting to attack a different group of Black youths who were coming to a birthday party.

Brooklyn woman falls to death while rock climbing

A 25-year-old Brooklyn woman fell to her death while rock climbing over the weekend, New York State Police said. Lauren Sobel was climbing in the area of the Trapps Trailhead at the Mohonk Mountain Preserve about 60 miles north of New York City at about 3:30 p.m. on Sunday. Police said Sobel was the lead climber in a group of three and was setting protection gear in the rocks about 70 feet up the rock face when she lost her grip and fell approximately 50 feet to her death.

Elected officials denounce hate attack on senior

On Aug. 10, a coalition of elected officials and community leaders gathered to rally in solidarity with the Asian American community and to denounce last month’s attack on an 89-year-old Asian woman. The attack came very soon after anti-Chinese flyers were found posted across Bay Ridge, targeting Asian Americans for the spread of coronavirus. According to a Pew Research Center study, four in 10 Asian Americans say they have experienced racism since the COVID-19 pandemic began. Councilmember Mark Treyger said, “Although this heinous act didn’t occur in my district, I have reached out to the local police captain, who assured me that an active investigation is under way to bring those responsible to justice.”

Couple at assisted living facility get engaged

Three years after they met at the Amber Court Assisted Living facility in Brooklyn, 76-year-old Jeffrey Miller proposed to 71-year-old Gloria Alexis. The event was posted on the Amber Court website. Caregivers helped Miller get a ring and arranged the proposal to Alexis, who was recently hospitalized. After Alexis said yes, healthcare workers were present as witnesses, according to 4NewYork.

Artist creates coloring books on injustice

A Brooklyn artist is partnering with HP to create a simple way to begin a conversation with children about social injustice. Adrian Brandon is using his talents as an artist and former teacher to create coloring and activity pages for parents, teachers and children to print out and use at home. Brandon hopes that through this initiative, children will become more aware of these issues at an early age, according to Brooklyn 12 News. The pages have a word search, a word jumble and, of course, pictures.

Dine In Park Slope goes outdoors

From Aug. 17 to 28, more than 40 Brooklyn restaurants and bars will offer a series of freebies, specials and discounts with the third annual Dine In Park Slope. The restaurant promotion week now features an array of deals for takeout, delivery and outdoor dining. “In the wake of COVID-19, with so many businesses struggling to reopen and recoup lost revenue, supporting local business is more essential than ever,” said Park Slope 5th Avenue BID executive director Mark Caserta. Among the restaurants taking part this year are Bricolage, Dickey’s Barbecue, Philly Pretzel Factory, Pulia, Shaking Crab Brooklyn and Sorfeh.

Backyard parties continue in ENY

Residents of East New York say that wild backyard parties at one location have been happening for years and are continuing even during the coronavirus pandemic. A video shows hundreds of people packed into a lot near 444 Shepherd Ave. “I think because all the clubs are closed in New York because of COVID, everyone is throwing backyard parties in an empty lot,” said Andrew Dellmore, a neighborhood resident, according to NY1 News. Police say multiple summonses have been issued for this location.

Compiled by Raanan Geberer.


Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment