18-year-old wounded in December shooting dies from injuries
An 18-year-old who was shot last month not far from Prospect Park has died from his injuries.
Police say Christon Jarrett suffered a gunshot wound to the torso on the evening of Dec. 7, during a shooting that appears to have been accidental.
Moustapha Diop, 18, was attempting to load a firearm in the same room as Jarrett when the weapon discharged, striking the victim in the abdomen, according to the criminal complaint District Attorney Eric Gonzalez’s office shared with the Brooklyn Eagle. The complaint is based on the victim’s interview with detectives, Gonzalez’s office said.
Jarrett was taken to Kings County Hospital in East Flatbush, where he was treated for a punctured intestine and paralysis and also had part of his colon removed, according to court documents.
He died from his injuries on Sunday, nearly one month later.
The incident took place inside an East 21st Street apartment not far from Prospect Park. Neither Jarrett nor Diop lived there.
Diop was arrested on Dec. 13 and was charged with assault, criminal possession of a loaded firearm and reckless endangerment. The shooting has now been deemed a homicide, according to the NYPD.
The District Attorney’s Office did not immediately say whether or not they’d be looking to add more charges against Diop. The investigation remains ongoing, cops said Wednesday.
The incident occurred in the 70th Precinct, where, as of Dec. 29, 2019, shootings were down more than 40 percent when compared to the year before. The precinct, which encompasses the neighborhoods of Midwood, Ditmas Park and Prospect Park South.
Diop’s attorney declined to comment. Diop was set free after paying his $100,000 bail, according to Department of Corrections records. His next appearance in Kings Criminal Court is scheduled for March 11.