Flatbush

Cops search for suspected gunman who shot two women in Flatbush

October 7, 2019 Ned Berke
The suspect in a Sept. 23 shooting in Flatbush. Photo via NYPD.

Authorities have released images of the man they believe opened fire on the streets of Flatbush two weeks ago, striking two female bystanders.

The suspect was walking with two other men near East 21st Street and Ditmas Avenue on Sept. 23, according to police. The men came across another group of men and opened fire at around 5:48 p.m., authorities said.

None of the men in the targeted group were hit — instead, the wild gunfire hit a 26-year-old woman in the leg and a 51-year-old woman in the arm. Both were transported to Kings County Hospital. It was reported at the time that they were both in stable and expected to survive.

Police said the women were not connected to the gunman or to the group of men he intended to shoot, according to the New York Daily News.

The broad-daylight attack happened just two blocks from a bustling section of Flatbush Avenue. Police released a photo and video of the suspect on Oct. 5.

Though major crimes are down citywide, shooting incidents are up nearly 6 percent this year. There have been 606 shootings citywide so far in 2019, compared to 572 in 2018.

In Flatbush’s 70th Precinct, where the Sept. 23 attack took place, shooting incidents are down 20 percent from 2018, with eight shootings as of September 29.

Anyone with information in regard to this incident is asked to call the NYPD’s CrimeStoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-8477 or for Spanish, 1-888-577-4782. You can also submit tips on the CrimeStoppers website or on Twitter. All calls are strictly confidential.

DAILY TOP BROOKLYN NEWS
News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment