Masked man killed by police in Brownsville shootout

September 2, 2019 Noah Goldberg
The two separate incidents took place on Monday night, Memorial Day. Photo by Scott Roth/Invision/AP

A masked man was shot and killed by police officers in Brownsville early Monday morning after he opened fire on cops, according to authorities.

The deadly shootout came on a particularly violent night in Brooklyn that left two other people killed in separate shootings.

Uniformed officers were patrolling on Howard Avenue in Brownsville around 2:30 a.m. Monday morning when they saw a masked man. The cops tried to speak with the man, but he fled, according to Chief of Department Terence Monahan.

News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

“One officer exited the vehicle and the other two drove onto Howard Avenue. The perpetrator fired numerous rounds at their vehicle, striking it. The officer who exited the car then exchanged gunfire with the male,” Monahan said.

The shooter then fled.

Police recovered a semi-automatic handgun at the scene. Photo courtesy of NYPD

About a half hour later, police were alerted to a man breaking into a Howard Avenue backyard, according to cops. Officers tried to enter the yard, but came under fire and were pinned, according to police.

Additional cops from the Emergency Service Unit responded to the scene and got into a shootout with the masked man, striking him and taking him into custody. The man was declared dead at Brookdale Hospital, according to cops.

Police recovered a semi-automatic handgun at the scene. The gun was covered in blood.


Seven officers shot at the man. Six shot at him in the backyard, while one officer shot at him while on Howard Avenue. Police could not confirm how many shots were fired by officers or by the man.

“The great work by our cops today demonstrates, once again, how they never hesitate to go into harm’s way to keep our city safe,” Monahan said.

Within an hour of the police shooting, two separate Brooklyn shootings — in Flatbush and Bushwick — left another two people dead and two other men in critical condition.

Police did not immediately release the names of any of the people killed early Monday morning.

None of the violence was related to the J’Ouvert celebration that began at 6:00 a.m., according to a police spokesperson.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment