Here’s a look back at some of Brooklyn’s 2018 landmarks
Last year, the Landmarks Preservation Commission named four individual landmarks, one scenic landmarks and one historic district extension in Brooklyn.
The first individual landmark is the Maurice Lewis House at 404 55th St. in Sunset Park, built in 1907 for Dr. Maurice T. Lewis. The house, Sunset Park’s only freestanding mansion, was threatened by a developer’s plan that would have replaced it with a 74-foot-tall building.
The second is the Dime Savings Bank of Williamsburgh, built in 1908 at 209 Havemeyer St., Williamsburg. It was constructed during a building boom in the neighborhood following the construction of the Williamsburg Bridge.
The third and fourth are two adjacent buildings of the Hans S. Christian Memorial Kindergarten at 236 and 238 President St., Carroll Gardens. The house at 236 was commissioned in 1897 by Elmira Christian, who sought to create a kindergarten in honor of her husband. The next-door building, originally built in 1853, was purchased by Ms. Christian in 1897 and renovated. Both houses served as church buildings later on.
The scenic landmark is the Coney Island Boardwalk from West 37th to Brighton 15th streets. The move was spurred by proposals to replace the boardwalk’s wooden planks with concrete. Now, the commission will have an advisory role in deciding on any charges to the boardwalk.
The historic district extension added about 288 19th century buildings to the original Boerum Hill Historic District, which was designated in 1973.
Leave a Comment
Leave a Comment