Brooklyn Boro

Dave Anderson, Eagle sports columnist, Pulitzer winner, dies at 89

October 5, 2018 By Ronald Blum Associated Press
In this 2004, file photo, Dave Anderson, New York Times sports columnist, right, gestures while on a panel discussion with, from left, Jerry Izenberg, Newark Star-Ledger sports columnist, and Bill Conlin, Philadelphia Daily News sports columnist during the Associated Press Sports Editors convention in Philadelphia. Anderson, a Pulitzer Prize-winning sports columnist, died Thursday at an assisted living facility in Cresskill, N.J. He was 89. AP Photo/Mike Mergen, FIle
Share this:

Dave Anderson, a genteel sports writer whose elegant, descriptive prose won a Pulitzer Prize for commentary as a columnist for The New York Times, died Thursday. He was 89.

He died at an assisted living facility in Cresskill, New Jersey, the Times said. He worked at the newspaper from 1966 to 2007.

An expert on baseball, the NFL, boxing and golf, Anderson wrote 21 books, received the 1994 Red Smith Award for outstanding contributions to sports journalism from the Associated Press Sports Editors and was inducted into the National Sports Writers and Sportscasters Hall of Fame in 1990. He was known for his warmth to friends and strangers alike and unflagging politeness.

His Pulitzer cited six columns from 1980 . The most memorable was “The Food On a Table At the Execution ,” portraying the scene at the Yankee Stadium office of George Steinbrenner when the New York owner forced out rookie manager Dick Howser with two years remaining on his contract.

News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

New York went 103-59 in the regular season but was swept 3-0 by Kansas City in the AL Championship Series, and Steinbrenner gave the implausible explanation that Howser decided to leave baseball for real estate development in Florida. Howser and his successor, Gene Michael, were on hand for the announcement.

“Near the door of George Steinbrenner’s office in Yankee Stadium yesterday, there were two trays of bite-sized roast beef, turkey and ham sandwiches, each with a toothpick in it,” Anderson was writing then. “As soon as 14 invited newsmen entered his office for the execution of Dick Howser as manager and the transfer of Gene Michael from general manager to dugout manager, Steinbrenner, the Yankees’ principal owner looked around. ‘Anybody want any sandwiches?’ he asked. “‘We’ve got a lot of sandwiches here.'”

After describing the awkward scene and contorted explanations, Anderson ended his 1,000-word allotment by quoting what Steinbrenner said after Howser left the room: “‘Nobody ate any sandwiches.'”

Anderson was born in Troy, New York, on May 6, 1929, attended Xavier High School and received a bachelor’s degree in English literature from Holy Cross.

A few months after his graduation in 1951, he became a clerk for the Brooklyn Eagle and started covering baseball the following year, when he was assigned card No. 457 by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. He would rise to No. 1 in 2001.

When Harold C. Burr, the Eagle’s beat writer for the Dodgers, broke a hip in a fall at a Cincinnati hotel during a road trip in 1953, sports editor Lou Niss assigned Anderson to replace him.

“I learned this business in self-defense. I mostly kept my mouth shut,” Anderson wrote in an article for an unpublished book on the history of the BBWAA compiled by Bill Shannon. “I listened as the other writers questioned manager Charlie Dressen and the players. I read what each of them had written, if only to compare their stories that day to mine. Had I taken the correct afternoon-paper angle? Had I missed anything? And had Dick Young scooped everybody again?”

Young was a baseball writer for the Daily News of New York. He was known for his coverage that included players’ pre- and postgame comments in an era when most reporters eschewed talking to athletes.

“In those years, Dick Young was the only morning-paper writer who regularly went to the clubhouse after a game,” Anderson wrote for the unpublished book. “Harold Rosenthal and Roger Kahn, who covered for the Herald Tribune, went occasionally, but the other morning-paper writers seldom did. Michael Gaven of the Journal-American usually went. Bill Roeder of the World-Telegram & Sun, Sid Friedlander of the Post and Jack Lang of the Long Island Press always went, and I always followed them. How could you not?”

Anderson was about to leave for spring training in 1955 when Newspaper Guild members of the Eagle struck and the paper folded. He was hired by the New York Journal-American to write a Brooklyn sports column.

He switched to the Times a decade later and became a sports columnist in 1971 alongside Red Smith. He became involved in controversy in 2002 when the Daily News reported the Times refused to publish columns by Anderson and Harvey Araton about the Augusta National Golf Club’s refusal to admit women.

A Times editorial had stated “Tiger Woods, who has won the Masters three times, could simply choose to stay home in April.” After the Daily News report, the Times reported editors did not run the column because executive editor Howell Raines thought it gave the appearance of internal squabbling with the editorial board. The column later ran with the lead: “Please, let Tiger Woods just play golf.”

Anderson retired as a full-time columnist in 2007, cutting back his workload to about 18 columns a year at first.

Anderson, who lived in Tenafly, New Jersey, is survived by sons Stephen and Mark, and daughters Jo and Jean-Marie, the Times said.

In his article for the unpublished book, Anderson recalled covering the Dodgers’ last game at Ebbets Field in 1957 before their move to Los Angeles.

“In the upstairs press box after the game, Bill Roeder and I, as usual, were the last to finish our afternoon-paper stories,” Anderson wrote. “After handing them to the Western Union teletype operator, we took the small elevator down to the field level and walked behind the marble rotunda to the small door at the night watchman’s entrance.

“As we approached the door, I stopped and let Bill Roeder go through it. As I did, I realized that I would be the last baseball writer to leave Ebbets Field after the last Dodger game there. Put it on my tombstone.”

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment