Sunset Park

Overheated wiring causes massive three-alarm fire in Sunset Park, injuring at least 5 firefighters

July 10, 2018 By Jaime DeJesus Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Photos by Loudlabs News NYC
Share this:

A three-alarm fire inside a Sunset Park building Monday was the result of overheated electrical wiring, officials have confirmed.

A multiple-dwelling fire broke out at 764 57th St. at around 2:19 p.m. on Monday, July 9, spreading from the basement to the third floor. Flames also extended through electrical wires to 5618 Eighth Ave.

More than 100 firefighters responded to the scene and the fire was deemed under control around 5 p.m.

DAILY TOP BROOKLYN NEWS
News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

At least five firefighters sustained non-life threatening injuries.

According to FDNY, the cause of the fire was “accidental, electrical, overheated Con Edison wiring.”

Wires also fell onto the metal awning of the building, allowing the fire to extend and energize, according to officials.

The blaze came as Con Edison was working hard and fast to repair a massive outage in the area which left more than 6,000 customers without power in Dyker Heights alone for a portion of Monday afternoon.

 


Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment