South Brooklyn Narcotics officers accused of raping teen resign prior to NYPD trial

November 7, 2017 Meaghan McGoldrick
Share this:

The two police officers accused of raping a teenager in a police van in southern Brooklyn last month have left their jobs at the NYPD.

Police officers Eddie Martins and Richard Hall, formerly assigned to Brooklyn South Narcotics Division, appeared on their own at Police Headquarters Monday, November 6 and resigned.

The duo – charged in a 50-count indictment that includes first-degree rape, first-degree criminal sexual act and second-degree kidnapping, among other charges – were originally scheduled for a department trial on Thursday, November 9.

According to the indictment, Martins and Hall are said to have taken turns raping an 18-year-old girl in the back of their van after handcuffing her and placing her under arrest for drug possession. If convicted, they each face up to 25 years in prison.

“When a member of the NYPD is indicted on serious charges like these, it tarnishes all of the admirable things accomplished by other, good officers every day in neighborhoods across New York City. It also stains the legacies of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in service to New Yorkers,” said Police Commissioner James O’Neill. “Today, the two men at the center of these allegations quit their jobs as police officers. Had these charges been upheld in an upcoming departmental trial, I would have fired them immediately. And I would have done so on behalf of every NYPD cop, because we owe the communities we serve – as well as the honest, hardworking men and women of this department – nothing less.”


Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment