Brooklyn man allegedly kills person over parking spot, claims self-defense

September 8, 2017 By Paul Frangipane Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Djems Jeanpaul was arraigned on manslaughter and attempted assault before Supreme Court Justice Neil Firetog at Brooklyn Supreme Court. Eagle photo by Paul Frangipane.
Share this:

Everyone knows it’s hard to find a parking spot in Brooklyn, but things don’t usually get this bad.

A Brooklyn man was indicted on manslaughter and attempted assault charges on Friday for allegedly stabbing two brothers with a nail clipper knife in a fight over a parking spot, killing one and injuring the other before trying to catch a flight out of the country.

Djem Jean-Paul, 41, was arrested when he tried to fly to his native, Haiti from JFK International Airport on Aug. 14. The day before, he allegedly stabbed Omri Dahan, 23, to death near their homes in Georgetown, Brooklyn.

Jean-Paul’s defense attorney, Julie Rendelman argued that the victim was the attacker.

“There is absolutely no reason that my client … should be incarcerated right now,” Rendelman said in court.

Supreme Court Justice Neil Firetog did not yet set bail, saying he needed to check grand jury minutes, analyze video footage and wait for the defense to devise a bail package, leaving Jean-Paul in custody.

Rendelman cited a video found by her investigative team that allegedly shows Jean-Paul’s car parked in front of the victim’s house. That reportedly caused Dahan to assault Jean-Paul. Dahan then got his brother from inside their home and allegedly chased down Jean-Paul and assaulted him with a large portable gate, Rendelman said. 

Jean-Paul allegedly pulled out the pocket knife on a set of nail clippers for self-defense, according to Rendelman.

He allegedly stabbed Omri Dahan in the chest and slashed his brother in the arm.

Jean-Paul told police that he stabbed at least one of the brothers, according to a criminal complaint.

Omri Dahan died at Beth Israel Hospital while his brother was treated in the same hospital.

Jean-Paul faces a maximum of 25 years in prison on the manslaughter charge.

He is set to return to court on Nov. 17.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment