East Williamsburg man get 10 years for attempted rape while victim forgives him

August 8, 2017 By Paul Frangipane Special to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Todd Deas was sentenced to 10 years in prison Tuesday for attempted rape. Eagle file photo by Rob Abruzzese

A man sentenced to 10 years in prison for tackling a woman and pulling down her underwear in an East Williamsburg attempted rape, could hardly face his victim as he sobbed with his back to her in court on Tuesday, even as she forgave him.

“I want you to know I feel very sorry for you,” the woman who had been assaulted said looking to the man who attempted to rape her nine months ago. “You’re going to go away for a very long time.”

Todd Deas, 31, audibly sobbed in Brooklyn Supreme Court as his victim spoke to his back, never allowing for eye contact.

Judge Dena Douglas considered sentencing Deas to 20 years after she found him showing little remorse in a probation report after his July 18 guilty plea.

“What did you do?” Douglas asked Deas, looking for him to show remorse.

“Rape,” Deas said. “I threw her to the ground. I pulled down her panties.”

It took Deas a few tries and consultations with his lawyer Debora Silberman until Douglas accepted his guilt.

On Oct. 18, 2016, Deas’ victim was walking home from a synagogue after midnight when Deas approached her and tried talking with her, eventually grabbing her arm, according to a statement from the Brooklyn DA’s Office.

She later woke up in an ambulance with a swollen and bloodied face to learn she had almost been raped.

“I thought I was going to die,” she said in court.

Deas’ attempt was thwarted when a man and his stepson spotted the incident while walking down Siegel Court near McKibbin Street.

The two saw Deas on top of the woman, slamming her body onto the ground before they scared him off.

The stepson chased after him until he could flag down the police, while the father stayed with the woman.

Deas was previously convicted of drug possession, attempted possession of prison contraband and robbery, all on separate occasions. He spent about seven years in prison on the charges.

He was living in a Doe Fund homeless shelter at 89 Porter St. at the time of the rape, according to DNAinfo.

Both the prosecutors and defense did not wish to make a statement at sentencing.