East Flatbush

Murderer gets 40 years after shooting a man 9 times in East Flatbush

July 11, 2017 By Paul Frangipane Special to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Keron Lynch at Brooklyn Supreme Court after he was sentenced to 40 years to life in prison by Judge Deborah Dowling. Eagle photo by Paul Frangipane
Share this:

A 23-year-old Crown Heights man was sentenced to 40 years to life in prison on Tuesday for killing a man in his East Flatbush apartment lobby after he left the victim’s body on the floor filled with nine bullet holes.

Keron Lynch was found guilty last month by a jury for second-degree murder and criminal possession of a firearm at Brooklyn Supreme Court after he gunned down 29-year-old Daniel Weir, shooting him eight times in the torso and once in the arm.

Lynch stood silent in court as Assistant District Attorney Olatokunbo Olaniyan read a statement written by Weir’s sister Dacia Maxwell.

“The day Daniel died, a part of me died too,” Maxwell wrote, then directing the letter to Lynch. “You are a career criminal … yet you think you are entitled to freedom.”

On April 15, 2015, Weir was lured to the apartment building at E 53rd Street and Clarkson Avenue in East Flatbush with a phone call where he met nine bullets from Lynch’s .40 caliber gun, according to a statement from the Brooklyn DA’s Office.

Lynch continued shooting while Weir was on the ground while three women with a baby in a stroller stood in the lobby.

Lynch, who has a previous gun conviction, told detectives that Weir sent two masked men to rob him at gunpoint two weeks prior to the shooting.

Defense attorney Calvin Simons argued for a lesser sentence, saying that both Lynch and Weir were in the drug game and Weir was selling drugs the night he died.

Judge Deborah Dowling sternly sentenced Lynch to the maximum term regardless, raising her voice as she supported her decision.

“No one has the right to decide to take away another person’s life,” she said down to Lynch.

After the shooting, Weir was rushed to Kings County Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Lynch’s second gun charge came after he engaged in a shootout with another man in East Flatbush and was shot in the leg and foot on April 26, 2015.

As the judge dismissed the case, one of Weir’s family members was heard yelling, “Rot in Hell!”


Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment