Coney Island

NYCHA breaks ground on $41M FEMA recovery project in Coney Island

August 3, 2016 Brooklyn Daily Eagle
On Wednesday, NYCHA broke ground on a $41 million reconstruction project in Coney Island. Rendering: James McCullar Architecture, PC

Second Major Funded Project of $3B FEMA Grant Moves Forward

New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) Chair and CEO Shola Olatoye broke ground Wednesday on a $41 million reconstruction project at the Coney Island Sites 4/5 development, funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

“This $41 million federal investment means better living conditions and more security in the face of impending storms for the many families and seniors who call this community home,” said U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer.  

The announcement comes on the heels of last year’s $3 billion Superstorm Sandy recovery assistance provided by FEMA — the largest in FEMA history. NYCHA’s recovery efforts are complemented by extensive coastal protection and other resiliency measures in place and underway around the city — key elements of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s OneNYC $20 billion multi-layered resiliency program.    

Coney Island Sites 4/5, a New York City Housing development that is home to more than 1,000 residents, was hard hit by Superstorm Sandy. The $41 million in recovery and resiliency work underway includes a full roof replacement, stand-by generators for backup power, new electrical systems and flood-protected equipment annexes, new boilers elevated above projected future flood levels, resiliency measures to prevent flooding, upgraded playgrounds and recreational areas and new lighting, security cameras (CCTV) and state-of-the-art security doors (Layered Access Control).

“Thanks to FEMA’s grant, new construction projects focused on everything from flood-proofing to installing back-up generators will help preserve public housing in Coney Island well into our future,” said Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams. “Not only does the repair and replacement of our crucial infrastructure empower all of us, it advances economic opportunity for a community still fighting its way back from Superstorm Sandy, a community whose tenacity is a needed inspiration as we face the hard work to come.”

“With the new renovation, buildings will now be equipped with standby backup generators, flood protected equipment and new roofs just to name a few, which I am confident will improve the quality of life for many and ensure in the event of another storm like Sandy, not only will our buildings be properly safeguarded, but our residents as well,” said state Sen. Diane Savino. 

Additionally, the Community Center will be comprehensively renovated –– the kitchen will be rehabilitated; walls will be refurbished; and floors, ceilings, doors and cabinets will be replaced. The center will be wired to receive stand-by backup power in the event of an outage and will be protected from projected future flood levels with flood panels during major weather events, including storms.  

“Coney Island was one of the areas hardest hit by Superstorm Sandy, and its residents have waited far too long for recovery efforts to be implemented,” said Councilmember Ritchie Torres, chair of the Committee on Public Housing. “This new project, made possible by the historic FEMA grant, will ensure that Coney Island Sites 4/5 will be able to endure for future generations.” 

The start of major construction work at Coney Island Sites 4/5 follows NYCHA’s recent groundbreaking on the $67-million FEMA-funded recovery project at Ocean Bay-Oceanside in the Rockaways. 

“After extensive efforts and intergovernmental collaboration, we are grateful that this vital and historic recovery funding has made its way to Coney Island,” said state Assemblymember Pamela Harris.  

“These much-needed upgrades and repairs will have a monumental impact on the safety, security, resiliency and quality of life for residents here,” said Councilmember Mark Treyger, chair of the Committee on Recovery and Resiliency. 

Leave a Comment