Bensonhurst

How Brooklyn coped with Blizzard of 2016

Winter Storm Jonas packed a punch

January 25, 2016 By Paula Katinas Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Pedestrians trudge through the snow on 18th Avenue in Bensonhurst. Eagle photos by Paula Katinas
Share this:

Jonas had us jumping!

Winter Storm Jonas, aka the Blizzard of 2016, packed a punch that was still being felt on Monday, two days after the storm swept in.

DAILY TOP BROOKLYN NEWS
News for those who live, work and play in Brooklyn and beyond

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that alternate side of the street parking regulations would be suspended until Jan. 30 to give the Department of Sanitation of New York (DSNY) the chance to finish plowing the streets.

“While the storm is over, there is still work to be done,” the mayor said in a statement.

De Blasio also announced that DSNY had 2,300 pieces of snow-clearing equipment on the streets.

The storm dumped 26.8 inches of snow on Central Park, the second highest total ever recorded.

Public schools were open on Monday, much to the chagrin of kids who wanted to spend the day sledding and making snowmen.

And many parents were angered by the decision to open schools when the cleanup from the massive snow storm was still going on.

Another reason why he don’t (sic) care about the kids or teachers,” one woman wrote on her Facebook page, blasting de Blasio.

Councilmember Mark Treyger (D-Coney Island-Gravesend-Bensonhurst) took to Facebook Monday morning to inform constituents taking their kids to school of snow clogged areas.

I have been reporting problematic locations near bus stops, hydrants, and school entrances,” he wrote.

The New York City Department of Education (DOE) was sympathetic to students and teachers who had trouble navigating their way to school.

“Students, parents and school staff, please be cautious on the road and streets. If you aren’t on time this morning, we understand,” read a message of DOE’s website.

By Monday morning, buses and subways were back up and running, but with delays on some lines.

“Crews and snow fighting equipment have been dispatched and are working to keep platforms and rails clear of ice and snow. We are monitoring conditions for impacts to service,” read a statement on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s (MTA) website on Saturday.

The MTA’s decision to suspend service on outdoor subway lines during the height of the blizzard was praised by the Riders Alliance. The MTA maintained service on underground lines on Saturday and Sunday.

“Riders feel the pain when subway service is suspended, but it’s a lot better than getting stranded between stations because of ice on the rails,” said Riders Alliance Executive Director John Raskin. “Closing public transit is a high-stakes decision, especially for people who have no choice but to go to work even in a blizzard. In this case, the MTA was able to keep subways running for as many people as possible while keeping people safe. In a no-win situation, the MTA made the right choice.”

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams said he was carefully monitoring the after-effects of the blizzard.

My office continues to coordinate directly with the Mayor’s Office, New York City Office of Emergency Management, and other key citywide agencies to ensure that Brooklynites have any problems addressed that may have arisen as a result of Winter Storm Jonas,” he said in a statement.

The effects of the blizzard were widespread and reached into civic life in many communities across Brooklyn.

The Francesco Loccisano Memorial Foundation, a children’s cancer charity based in Bay Ridge, canceled a Swish for Kids Basketball fundraiser that had been scheduled for Sunday, organizers announced.

Instead, the event will take place on Sunday, Feb.7, at its originally scheduled location, Saint Ephrem Catholic School at 924 74th St., at 10 a.m.

All of New York City’s zoological parks, including the New York Aquarium and Prospect Park Zoo, were closed on Saturday and Sunday.

The Bay Parkway Community Job Center, a facility that helps immigrant workers find day jobs, was prepared to assist homeowners, business owners and community residents with snow shoveling duties.

Elected officials were busy over the weekend monitoring the storm and urging their constituents to heed the warnings of experts and stay inside.

“I have full faith in our community and ask that you stay safe and keep our community safe by checking in on vulnerable neighbors: seniors and anyone with medical or physical disabilities,” Councilmember Carlos Menchaca (D-Sunset Park-Red Hook) told his constituents in an email.

 


Leave a Comment


Leave a Comment