Alleged gunman fires at officers, then shot in Bushwick

September 4, 2015 Robert Pozarycki
Share this:

Updated Saturday, September 5

A Brooklyn man faces multiple attempted murder charges for opening fire on police officers during a foot pursuit in Bushwick early Friday morning, authorities reported.

Jerrol Harris, 27, of Brownsville– who is suspected of shooting a 52-year-old man at a Bushwick location earlier that morning– reportedly fired at two police officers who were searching the area in an unmarked car. Neither officer was hit, but Harris– while attempting to avoid capture– was shot by police in the left leg; he was hospitalized in stable condition.

Police said the trouble began at about 1:10 a.m. Friday, when members of the 83rd Precinct Anti-Crime Unit responded to a 911 call of a man shot in front of a home on Madison Street near Knickerbocker Avenue.

When they arrived, the officers—a sergeant and an officer in an unmarked vehicle—reportedly found a 52-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his arm. Paramedics brought the man to Elmhurst Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.

Based on information they obtained during a preliminary investigation, the officers commenced a search of the surrounding area and located Harris, who fit the shooter’s description, on Jefferson Avenue between Evergreen and Bushwick avenues.

Upon spotting the officers, authorities said, Harris allegedly pulled out a gun and opened fire, striking their vehicle multiple times. The officers returned fire, but no one was hit, then engaged the suspect in a foot pursuit.

Additional units from the 81st and 83rd precincts were called in to assist with apprehending the perpetrator.

Moments later, according to police, an officer shot Harris in the left calf on Jefferson Avenue between Bushwick Avenue and Broadway. The weapon that the suspect allegedly used, a .40-caliber Taurus Millennium handgun, was recovered at the scene.

Paramedics brought Harris to Kings County Hospital; he was charged on Saturday with four counts each of attempted murder of a police officer, reckless endangerment and menacing of a police officer, along with a single weapons possession count.

Six officers—four from the 83rd Precinct and two from the 81st Precinct—were brought to local hospitals for treatment of tinnitus.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment